Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Singing Maxtor?

Old 01-12-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Singing Maxtor?

My desktop started making some strange noises while idling, and by the time I could get over to check on it, the machine had crashed. Opening it up, I see the fan that exhausts the drive cage isn't working, so my guess is that it died on me, which overheated my drives, which caused badness.

I yanked the drive cage to give it some breathing room and tried to reboot, to which one of Maxtor SATA drives responds with what can only be described as a "ring tone". It's not a constant beep, but a musical progression, as if a cell phone were ringing inside the drive. The motherboard does not appear to recognize it.

Fortunately, I have it mirrored, and by removing the drive, I can successfully boot from its sibling; but I'm curious what exactly the ring tone means. Is it just an overheated warning tone or perhaps a complete drive failure tone? I'll be buying replacement drives just to be safe, but I'm interested if anyone has experienced the same thing before.

das
Old 01-13-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's exactly what it is - overheating. I had the exact thing happen a month ago.
Old 01-13-08, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I have a new paperweight?

das
Old 01-13-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
So I have a new paperweight?

das

Check the warranty, maybe not
Old 01-13-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

seagate/maxtor warranties are quick and easy to deal with
you can put the serial into seagates page and check your warranty status
Old 01-20-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know why I didn't even think of the warranty before, but thanks for the suggestion. It was in fact still under warranty, so I have a replacement on the way.

As a temporary measure, I went to Fry's and picked up one of their $90 500GB SATA 300 drives as a mirror backup (the degraded array is 300GB). I rebuilt the array with the 500 and will then re-rebuild it when the replacement 300 arrives. I plan to then take the 500 and RAID 5 it with 2 500s I currently have mirrored. I just need to find a place to offload the data currently on the 500 mirror, since I don't expect there's any way I'll be able to "convert" from RAID 1 to RAID 5 (logically possible, just not likely with my software).

das