Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laser Printer (Network) Suggestion

Old 01-10-08, 05:53 PM

Laser Printer (Network) Suggestion

I'm looking for a small laser printer that I can use at home. I already have an Epson inkjet printer, but I'd like something with a lower cost-per-page.

Ideally, I'd like something that I could connect to my network. I currently share a printer connected to my desktop to other laptops, but I'd like the ability to print without having to ensure the desktop computer is up-and-running.

I was looking at the Brother HL-2070N for a while. It seems like a good deal, but I read some negative things (page curling, higher-than-average cost-per-page). Has anyone had any personal experience with this? Staples currently has it on sale for $80 after some rebates.

As a more general question, does anyone have any good recommendations for a small laser printer I can use at home? It doesn't need to be able to handle a large amount of printing (this isn't a home office), but I'd like something that has decent quality. Some specifics are below.

Features I'd Like
  • Excellent text quality
  • Decent monochrome quality for line art
  • Decent cost-per-page (hopefully something at or below 3 cents)
  • Flat paper tray (I've had bad luck with the paper that feeds from above)
  • Built-in Ethernet networking

I could live without the built-in networking if absolutely necessary, but then I would want to invest in a stand-alone print server that (which I've seen for around $70 at various stores). I'd like to stay below $200 if possible.

I'll be using the printer with multiple operating systems (Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.5, and Linux).

Thanks!