Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

My number #1 Mac annoyance! please help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-08-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this is driving me nuts for a year or more.... Can anyone help?

When you 'alt-tab' (command-tab) between apps on OSX, the window doesnt always pop up to the front.. if i have a minimized entourage and tab to it, it just stays minimized. Same for some hidden windows, I think especially if you have multiple of the same (ie 3 firefox windows maybe).

Its driving me NUTS!!!!! Isnt there a hack or something? I know about 5 other people in the same situation! Help me Mac-Wan Kenobi..
Old 01-08-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Switch to Windows
Old 01-08-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Windows baby! Alt-Tab you heart away! (And Windows-Tab for Vista folks offers even more fun!)
Old 01-08-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clicking the Dock icon instead will un-minimize the window if there are no other regular windows open for that application.

It's probably better to get used to using Hide (Command H) instead, also found under the application menu. This provides the same effect without taking up space in the Dock and also reappears when using Command-tab to return to the application.
Old 01-08-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
One alternative (which requires mouse clicks, which I prefer, instead of keyboard strokes) is to use FinderPop. I have been using it since the OS 8 days. It allows you to right-click anywhere and bring up a contextual menu with a customizable launcher, as well as a "Processes" menu that lists running applications. If you select the application you want to switch to, it will bring it to the front. I just tested it, and it works with single minimized and hidden windows, but it didn't bring a single one of the multiple minimized Safari windows up. VersionTracker reviews indicate that there are some compatibility issues with 10.5, though.

Another possibility (which I also used during the OS 8 days, but haven't used under OS X) might be LiteSwitch X. Proteron's site specifically mentions "window layering control," and the VersionTracker reviews indicate as much (although one review also mentions 10.5 compatibility issues). It was freeware for OS 8, and I'm not sure when they decided to start charging $15 for it.
Old 01-08-08, 08:51 PM

Ask and ye shall receive.
Old 01-08-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hidden windows (Cmd+H) will appear when you Cmd+Tab to them. If you have 10.5 (Leopard), check out Spaces. Apple really did a nice job with it, it's the first time I've actually been able to use multiple desktops without wanting to shoot myself. (KDE was pretty close but was missing a few features. And, erm, the whole OS usability thing)
Old 01-08-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll try and get used to cmd-h or use the 'witch' program - hopefully i can get used to it.

(and I do have 2 pc's as well, but my laptop happens to be a mbp )
Old 01-12-08, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by ravan
Ok this is driving me nuts for a year or more.... Can anyone help?

When you 'alt-tab' (command-tab) between apps on OSX, the window doesnt always pop up to the front.. if i have a minimized entourage and tab to it, it just stays minimized. Same for some hidden windows, I think especially if you have multiple of the same (ie 3 firefox windows maybe).

Its driving me NUTS!!!!! Isnt there a hack or something? I know about 5 other people in the same situation! Help me Mac-Wan Kenobi..
They must have fixed it in Leopard. I just tried it with multiple apps and it worked just fine whether I had it hidden or not.
Old 01-12-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by celmendo
They must have fixed it in Leopard. I just tried it with multiple apps and it worked just fine whether I had it hidden or not.
The problem was with minimized windows not hidden apps and it acts the same way in Leopard.
Old 01-14-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ghackmann.. Witch is da bomb!! solves my lifes problems in a simple neat little app.

cant believe apple still cant get it right witch rules! thanks!!!!
Old 01-14-08, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
The problem was with minimized windows not hidden apps and it acts the same way in Leopard.
That's what I get for not reading well and you guys are right. That's just dumb. Sorry