Reload this Page >

Why can't I reinstall windows??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-27-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend's computer has some serious issues....the desktop icons never show up, IE never opens, the control panel is gone, popups, etc.

I said it would be simpler just to reinstall windows and start from scratch. So I popped in the Dell cd and went to reinstall windows...after a few mminutes this message shows up on a blue screen:

STOP: c0000221 Unkown Hardware Error
\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

I tried my Windows XP disk and I get the same message. I have to restart the computer every time.

Any ideas?
Old 12-27-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the official answer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314474

but the bottom line, this means that the install CD is not being read properly. Since you tried a different CD, we can rule out scratches in the media.

It could be another problem with the CD/DVD drive itself or something on the sam IDE bus as that CD drive giving read errors.

Sometimes just either enabling or disabling the DMA (change its status from what it is now) will help

Can also be a bad hard drive (the other end of the file not being read properly is the file not being written properly)
Old 12-27-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Don't really know how to answer you, but I copied & pasted your message into google.com and more than 10 pages of results came up, so it appears that this is NOT a rare problem. You may get better help by searching google.com yourself rather than waiting for some advice from here. I clicked on a few of the results I got in google and they seem to point to some kind of RAM module error and some of them recommended removing the RAM module. Anyway, I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about. Google.com can be your friend for things like this.
Old 12-27-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
simple things first: be sure that boot order (F2 for bios) is correct and remember to hit "any" key to boot from the cd.

When exactly did the error happen? Did the blue ms-dos screen show-up? or this error came before that?
Old 12-28-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
simple things first: be sure that boot order (F2 for bios) is correct and remember to hit "any" key to boot from the cd.

When exactly did the error happen? Did the blue ms-dos screen show-up? or this error came before that?

did all that..windows goes to install and after 4 minutes or so i get the error
Old 12-28-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Delete the contents of the drive then reinstall from teh dell disk.
Old 12-28-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by namrufmot
did all that..windows goes to install and after 4 minutes or so i get the error
Four minutes from where? Which install point were you in?

This error happened after you hit F8 for the EULA, deleted all partitions, formatted the drive, and after the CD copied files?

Remember that after XP restarts and goes to the 32-bit gui mode, it gives an estimate of install time (e.g., 32 minutes).

Maybe try unplug printer and usb cables/devices asisde from mouse/keyboard.
Old 12-31-07, 11:16 PM

I'd run a memory diagnostic program - on another computer, download memtest86 cd image, burn it, boot to it on the problem computer.