Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Blackberry or Treo - help me decide!

Old 12-19-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blackberry or Treo - help me decide!

I finally decided I need a mobile email device - I have been putting it off as long as possible, but now I really think I need one for business.

I haven't done my usual "ad naseum" research yet, other than looking at them both at a local store. I am the type of person who does so much research on a tech item that the next generation sometimes comes out before I make my decision!

I would really like to pick up a used one on ebay, and if this is going to replace my phone, I'd like something with a camera (although it looks like that is going to price me into a newer model).

I also want a full keyboard. Mp3 is not necessary, just email, phone (and possibly camera).

Is there any new feature that I should want that increases performance dramatically? I will suck it up and buy a new model if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 12-19-07 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-19-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Blackberry Curve. It has a camera a good screen and a good keyboard. I think it would work great for what you need.
Old 12-19-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do not like the Blackberries. I think they're too "clunky," although I realize that's a little vague.

I think the contacts and calendar functions of the Palms are great.
Old 12-19-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a question: How much do you hate Microsoft?

If you don't hate Microsoft, I can suggest ATT 8525 or newer ATT Tilt. It has Windows Mobile 5 (8525 can be upgrade to WM 6 - Tilt has WM 6). WM included calendar, task, Excel, and Word.
Old 12-19-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have had a BB (8700), a Treo (700p) and a WM6 device (TMobile Dash).

WM>Treo>BB

Other than the occasional reboot of the WM phone, Its by far my favorite!
Old 12-19-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to reboot my Treo 700w at least 3-4 times a day.... I was thinking it was just NYC because I know that sometimes going in the subway and all the deadzones around were causing it, but my wife seems to never have any problems with her Blackberry (we both have Verizon as service provider). I hate, hate, hate the Treo.
Old 12-19-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know how I survived without my treo. I did alot of research and found that the treo was the best fit for me and what I needed it to do. My 680 is very stable and there are a ton of applications available for it if you need additional functionality. My only complaint is that the camera sucks but that is not as important to me as the calender, document handling, and phone functions.
Old 12-19-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the tilt and love everything but the battery life. Does everything that I need otherwise.
Old 12-19-07, 11:54 AM
Stealth Moderator

If you use/want/need push e-mail, then nothing beats the Blackberry. We use Microsoft Exchange at work, and at least half the time, I get the e-mail on my BB (Verizon Wireless) before I even get it on my Outlook. Bottom line: it's FAST!

If push e-mail isn't something that's high on your list, then I'd go with the iPhone. While AT&T's EDGE is a bit slow for data, iPhone also has Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi is almost ubiquitous.

If you go with the Treo, then get the Treo 700w (with Windows Mobile). I'm not a fan of either Palm OS or Windows Mobile, but between the two, WM is the lesser of two evils.
Old 12-19-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by namja
If you use/want/need push e-mail, then nothing beats the Blackberry. We use Microsoft Exchange at work, and at least half the time, I get the e-mail on my BB (Verizon Wireless) before I even get it on my Outlook. Bottom line: it's FAST!

If push e-mail isn't something that's high on your list, then I'd go with the iPhone. While AT&T's EDGE is a bit slow for data, iPhone also has Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi is almost ubiquitous.
I'd concur. The BlackBerry for push email works extremely well, at least on an installation where you have a corporate BlackBerry Server, etc like we do. Can't speak to the consumer service.
Old 12-19-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I have to reboot my Treo 700w at least 3-4 times a day.... I was thinking it was just NYC because I know that sometimes going in the subway and all the deadzones around were causing it, but my wife seems to never have any problems with her Blackberry (we both have Verizon as service provider). I hate, hate, hate the Treo.
Not familiar with the Treo's, but for various BlackBerry models there are OS updates that can be applied and that often help with issues like these.
Old 12-19-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sniper308
I'd concur. The BlackBerry for push email works extremely well, at least on an installation where you have a corporate BlackBerry Server, etc like we do. Can't speak to the consumer service.

I only have mine set up with gmail and it works great.
Old 12-20-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the suggestions - I picked up a used Blackberry 8700c for under $80 on ebay so I'll go with that for now.

Looking forward to my family hating me because I will be checking email even more than I do now.....