Reload this Page >

WiFi question: Multiple APs

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-18-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents have WiFi in their house but it won't reach their upstairs game room. That room has an ethernet jack and connects to their LAN. I want to put a wireless access point up there and have the transition between the two nodes be seamless. I don't want them to have to connect to a different SSID when they go upstairs.

What is the best way to do this? Their primary router is a Linksys WRT-54G running DD-WRT v24 RC4. I have a Fonera router/AP that I've hacked and put DD-WRT on, as well, which I would like to put upstairs, for them.

Right now, their wifi is secured with WPA2, no other filtering turned on. (If that helps...)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by shaun3000; 11-18-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My understanding, but i never tried it, is that you just set them to same SSID and different channels and it should work (Computer picks up the strongest of them). of course you may have to fiddle with DHCP assignment etc.

but never tried it, so YMMV...
Old 11-18-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I'll try it and see what happens.
Old 11-18-07, 11:44 PM
lxl

Wireless Mesh Network:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_mesh_network

I am not sure if DD-WRT has this feature though.
Old 11-19-07, 12:46 AM

You want something called Wireless Distribution System, or WDS. It's a little different from (and significantly simpler than) a modern mesh network, for technical reasons that are probably uninteresting to anyone outside of the wireless networking field.

And yes, DD-WRT supports WDS.
Old 11-19-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I went with ravan's suggestion since that room was already wired. I set the new router up with identical wireless settings (same SSID, same encryption and key) and used a different channel. I also set the WAN connection to disabled, DHCP type to DHCP Forwarder and used my main router as the DHCP server. Finally, I changed the router IP to a different IP than the main router and told it where the main gateway router can be found.

It works perfectly.

Thanks lxl and GHackmann for your suggestions. I think WDS would have been the way to go if I was going to put my router in a room without an ethernet connection.