Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Macbook Pro gets slow after upgrading ram?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-18-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really weird thing going on here... My MBP just got upgraded to 4 GB from 2GB and works great.. however.. after being on for a long time, say 4-5 days, it'll get sluggish. the cursor will move in little jumps etc.

Didnt happen with 2GB and no other major changes done (Upgraded to leopard, but I had Leopard w/ 2 GB for a while with no issues).

Any ideas?
Old 11-18-07, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ravan
Really weird thing going on here... My MBP just got upgraded to 4 GB from 2GB and works great.. however.. after being on for a long time, say 4-5 days, it'll get sluggish. the cursor will move in little jumps etc.

Didnt happen with 2GB and no other major changes done (Upgraded to leopard, but I had Leopard w/ 2 GB for a while with no issues).

Any ideas?
I've noticed similar issues if I've kept Firefox open for days with a few tabs
Old 11-18-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dont get me started on firefox..

Certain websites stopped working.. i cant click some buttons on f.inst. ticketmaster.com (evil company, but gotta deal w/ them once in a while).. and FF crashes for me left and right..

is it just unstable or can i reinstall or something?
Old 11-18-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't know about your RAM. I'd check and make sure it's the correct kind for your system. I think the Macs can be picky as far as specs go. Make sure everything matches, like the timing and latency, not just the type of memory.

As far as Firefox, the Mac version is a joke. Yes, it runs on Mac, but it's obvious they compiled it until it worked and that was about it. Right now your best bets are Safari or Camino. And seeing how Camino is basically the Mozilla version of Safari, I'd stick with Safari. (Maybe I missed something but I don't see any thing Camino has over Safari)

Firefox 3 is supposed to be much more tailored for Mac, whenever it comes out. The first beta should be out any day, now.
Old 11-18-07, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Don't know about your RAM. I'd check and make sure it's the correct kind for your system. I think the Macs can be picky as far as specs go. Make sure everything matches, like the timing and latency, not just the type of memory.
I also agree with this.

I've seen a Mac not working so well with memory that is not quite up to spec
Old 11-18-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000

As far as Firefox, the Mac version is a joke. Yes, it runs on Mac, but it's obvious they compiled it until it worked and that was about it. Right now your best bets are Safari or Camino. And seeing how Camino is basically the Mozilla version of Safari, I'd stick with Safari. (Maybe I missed something but I don't see any thing Camino has over Safari)

Firefox 3 is supposed to be much more tailored for Mac, whenever it comes out. The first beta should be out any day, now.
Opera runs fine on Mac also, at least in my experience.
Old 11-18-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot about Opera. I've heard good things about that one, as well.
Old 11-18-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I honestly dont think its faulty or incompatible ram - i'd expect other programs to be unstable etc.. this is more like a crazy memory leak (prob firefox?) or something that builds over a long time.

Bad memory usually is instant death or similar in my experience.
Old 11-18-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The memory may be fine just not completely compatible with your Mac.