Reload this Page >

Stoping the electronic buzz

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-18-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two stereos. One I have at my computer desk and I use it to record radio programs on my hard drive so I can save them as MP3s. I do this by running a cable from the head phone jack to the audio input on my computer.

Recently, I got the idea to record the audio of an episode of Austin City Limits, but I had to move the computer over by the TV for the duration of the program and got this annoying electronic buzz during the entire program. I ran the audio directly from the TV to the computer.

So I figured the way to avoid it would be to run my cables from the head phone jack on the stereo I have my TV and DVD player hooked up to instead of directly from the TV. I and I left my computer at my computer desk, and just got two long cables and connected them together with adapters.

However, I still get the same annoying buzz. I do not get this buzz at all when I record from the stereo at my desk from the radio.

I thought about trying to run the audio jacks into the stereo at my desk but I'd have to buy more cables to do that and I am not confident it will solve the problem.

Somebody I know suggested I buy studio quality cables that have insulation or something in them that prevents this but that sounds very expensive. Is there an alternate measure to solving this problem?
Old 11-23-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need a ground loop isolator. Radioshack sells them for under $15 or so. I've been using the same one since about 2001 and it works flawlessly.
Old 11-25-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Either that, or get a better television.
Old 11-25-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And an FYI, studio cables wont solve the problem. It's not the tv's fault either. It is a ground loop.