Reload this Page >

Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP HC

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-12-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anybody sporting one of these? Apparently it's a rather large upgrade from the 2405. I didn't realize they upgraded until I read something in a thread on another board. However, it appears there are some issues with the monitor. Does anybody know if it is widespread or a very small random number? This one is pricier than the old one (~$650), so it's rather a large jump to pick one up new if there are issues.
Old 11-12-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have not heard any issue about that... I have heard many positive about that monitor than negative.
Old 11-12-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Videos of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...07wfp+ghosting

Forum on issue: http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...cending&page=1
Old 11-13-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't heard anything about the problem but upon looking up, I see that many people are complaining about the ghosting issue. Apparently, the ghosting can be reduced with calibration but it will still be exist.

There's a lot of discussion going on at Dell Community Forum:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...hread.id=81254

Based from that board, it looks like that the problem is pretty widespread and even Dell is still trying to figure out what's the cause of the problem, and until they find what's exactly going on they won't be releasing a revision.

Man am I glad I got the regular 2407FPW.
Old 11-13-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
Man am I glad I got the regular 2407FPW.
Regular?
Old 11-13-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Umm... Interesting. When I researching on getting a new monitor with HD, the 2407FPW was the best monitor out there (I ended up bought 2007FPW and had no issue with ghosting).

I hope Dell will be able to find a way to fix that problem.
Old 11-13-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol they fixed that problem two years ago almost now. There are no remaining issues with this monitor as of the latest firmware. I've had mine for over a year now.
Old 11-13-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdtv00
lol they fixed that problem two years ago almost now. There are no remaining issues with this monitor as of the latest firmware. I've had mine for over a year now.
If that were true there wouldn't be thread only a few months old. That and the HC version just recently came out, and I imagine we're talking about a problem that affects that particular version, not the original.
Old 11-14-07, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actaully mine isn't the original either, it's the 3rd version, there is a 4th. Heck maybe now theres a 5th. Either way I looked around heres the official stance from dell...for the record I was referring to the 2407 rev 04 model.

"Dell has received feedback from some customers regarding our new 2407WFP-HC monitors. The majority of this feedback has been positive but some customers have made inquiries regarding a ghosting trail behind a moving image. This effect is known as overdrive ghosting and, while not typically experienced with general monitor use, it may be seen from time to time when viewing patterns on a lower greyscale background.

This overdrive ghosting effect is tied to the overdrive feature of the LCD panel. The overdrive feature helps to deliver impressive picture details and quality across a wide multitude of usage models by improving the grey-to-grey response time. However, when the overdrive feature is coupled with a faster monitor response time, the potential for overdrive ghosting can occur in some viewing patterns.

This means there will not be another 2407WFP-HC revision to address the ghosting nor will we fix the current one."
Old 11-14-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Actaully mine isn't the original either, it's the 3rd version, there is a 4th. Heck maybe now theres a 5th. Either way I looked around heres the official stance from dell...for the record I was referring to the 2407 rev 04 model.

"Dell has received feedback from some customers regarding our new 2407WFP-HC monitors. The majority of this feedback has been positive but some customers have made inquiries regarding a ghosting trail behind a moving image. This effect is known as overdrive ghosting and, while not typically experienced with general monitor use, it may be seen from time to time when viewing patterns on a lower greyscale background.

This overdrive ghosting effect is tied to the overdrive feature of the LCD panel. The overdrive feature helps to deliver impressive picture details and quality across a wide multitude of usage models by improving the grey-to-grey response time. However, when the overdrive feature is coupled with a faster monitor response time, the potential for overdrive ghosting can occur in some viewing patterns.

This means there will not be another 2407WFP-HC revision to address the ghosting nor will we fix the current one."
If I'm not mistaken "revison 3" was the 2405. The current version is the 2407, so your statement is misleading.

I can understand if they don't want to put out more 2407s, but I really hope there will be a 2409 (or whatever it is) SOON.
Old 11-14-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a rev 4 2407WFP (no HC). It was my understanding their were multiple revs of the 2407. I've not experienced any ghosting.

Edit: The 2407WFP came out about 18 months ago. The 2407WFP-HC (HC stand for High Color) came out 2 months ago. It appears they are using a different type of LCD panel... 10-bit would be my guess.

Last edited by Mordred; 11-14-07 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are mistaken, there are 4 revisions for the 2407, well at least 4. I have 03, 04 is the newest and best, the one were every problem with units was solved. So I doubt there was ever a rev 05 but I'm to lazy to look that up lol.

Yeah, wfp HC , you're right on with that mordred, funny thing is everyone seems to hate the high color, saying it's way oversaturated.

As for the ghosting, most of the time you can't see it. Only with high APL contrast image can you see it, ie small black on white background dead give away. So most never notice it.
Old 11-15-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Regular?
Um... yeah. non HC rev A04. And like everyone said, there are four revision for the 2407 because of the banding problem caused by that Faroudja chip.
Old 11-15-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget the pixel mapping actually works with rev 04, unlike every other rev. They say the others do it but 1600x1200 and up pixel mapping doesn't work right on any 2407 rev01-03. Grr.

On the plus side, mine after getting it a few months it literally fell over and smashed screen into fractured mess......I called they said to bad should've bought complete care warrenty. I complained on website, chrisM hooked me up for exchange. I still to this day have no idea how the hell it fell over. I'm only one here and I was no where near it at the time. I was across the room.
Old 11-15-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Poultergeist?
Old 11-16-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no idea lol. But my heart SANK....I went to the website looking for faulty stands or something. But in the end, after being toldl to bad , it worked out. I was lucky but it's REAL nice in these times a someone you buy electronics from has your back. Of course I was the exception but still....I'm very thankful.
Old 11-16-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just so I'm clear, the HC is NOT the revision 4. It's a new model that is revision 1?
Old 11-16-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep clear, its new