Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

PerformanceOptimiser.com is evil junk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-12-07, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run into Performance Optimizer on both PCs and on Macs. Most recently as I clicked a link, it created an error situation that allowed it to launch an exploit which it proceeds to warn you that it's detected. Performance Optimizer would know because it is the problem.

It offers to let you download PC software that will fix the problem -- whcih is curious, claiming to have discovered a PC problem in a Mac and trying to stuff files intended for Windows into Mac OS.

If you fell for this, you're best advised to get the thing out of your system as soon as you can and carefully scrub it, checking for viruses, spyware or other hidden malware.

The effect in Macs can be seen afterwards in Console window logs. Performance optimizer blocks you from returning to the page your were on and it shuts down the normal process of closing browser windows. It will gray out out the file menus so you can't simply close one window or tab. The effect in the PC is a little different -- except that I don't know how deeply it burrows in malware.

In Mac, the simplest approach is to simply force quit Safari and don't reopen all the windows/tabs simultaneously. The process is similar in PCs, but you'll want to be more cautious to clean things up.

What this company is doing is a criminal violation in my state and it is almost certainly a violation of several federal criminal statutes. there are good reliable anti-spyware, anti-virus programs that should block this. You could also in some browsers simply block that address -- and I'dblock so far as I could anything from that ISP or anything that's been within a thousnd mils of these cretins.

Last edited by jacee; 11-12-07 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up for that common sense situation. Don't click on any pop ups.
Old 11-12-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Performance optimizer is blocked by spy bot and spyware blaster which are pretty basic programs for anti-spyware.

Did you have any anti-spyware protection at all?

Spybot
ver 1.5 is nice but SLOW! And in Vista you need to run it as admin.

Spyware Blaster

Windows Defender

I recommend all 3 on your system at the same time, do an update on each then Immunize on spybot and spyblaster.

Any one of the 3 would have protected you from performance optimizer.
Old 11-12-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacee
What this company is doing is a criminal violation in my state and it is almost certainly a violation of several federal criminal statutes.
Lemmie clue you in on something. No, its not a criminal violation. While it most certainly should be, there are virtually no states where the legislatures have prohibited this kind of hijacking. And the federal government has 1. Bigger issues to handle and 2. Would not know where to begin.
Old 11-12-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I'm not worried about it (I'm running Linux), and I know not to go to that place, I still blocked the URL in my router settings.

"It's the only way to be sure."