Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Kids: Laptop, Desktop, or Mini?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-06-07, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids (7S, 8D) currently both have their own desktops, my wifes and I's old hand-me-downs, located in the dining room. I'm thinking of buying them a new computer for the holidays. I keep going back & forth on what to do, so now I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. We both have degrees in CS and there are 10 computers in the house, so save the 'go outside & play' comments for someone else.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Laptop:
They can plug/dock in a KB/mouse and their monitors/speakers to get the full desktop experience, and yet also be able to take them upstairs to watch DVD's on. I think the smaller form facotr would look nicer in the dining room. On the minus side, they can take them upstairs, and mom/dad are not cool with them having computers out of their supervision.

Mini/iMac:
This would almost certainly be kept in XP mode, and/or have Parallels on it since every kids game on earth is Windows. I like the idea that they would have a mac. I think I would also like the smaller/nicer looking form factor for the dining room.

Desktop/Micro-ATX:
The Micro would be a small factor and look nicer. The desktop (and micro) would probably be cheaper than the other options. Both would probably last longer than the others (dropping the laptop and breaking it and/or the cpu/gpu being faster and thus lasting the tech curve longer.) Potential for doggy/penguin/kitty-cat cases, which the kids owuld like but the dining room would not. This option may last them until they hit FPS age.

Hmmm, I guess there's one more option: Get my wife (Micro ATX) and me (mid tower) new PC's or laptops and give the kids a hand-me-down again, maybe with a new case?

Any thoughts anyone would like to share? They are playing web games on the kid websites as well as bigfish/gamehouse games and a few CD games (which are ALL older and almost all pre-XP)
Old 11-06-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, i don't think a laptop would be a good idea just based on the idea that it can easily be dropped or knocked over.

If it were up to me, since they're only 7 and 8 i'd do the new computer for yourself and hand down your old system.