Reload this Page >

iPhone restore... what do I lose?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-31-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious about what I would lose if I decided to restore my iPhone. I know I would lose all songs, videos and pictures that I uploaded from my computer. Would I also lose the pictures I took with the phone? How about my contacts, would those disappear as well? How about my settings, my stocks, the cities for weather, the appointments in my calender, my notes, my youtube bookmarks, my emails (and accounts), my text messages etc?

Is there any way to back up the things that can't easily be redone (contacts, text messages)?

I tried googling the answer but I couldn't find any specifics. I'm sure someone has restored their iPhone here that can answer my question.

BTW, is it ok to talk about jailbreaking? Not how to do it, but more about the apps you can get and programs that don't mess up your phone?
Old 10-31-07, 08:57 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
BTW, is it ok to talk about jailbreaking? Not how to do it, but more about the apps you can get and programs that don't mess up your phone?
As long as it doesn't violate the DMCA or copyrights in general I don't see a problem with it. However I don't think it would be good for this forum to become a destination for people whose primary reason for joining up is that they found lots of links to here after searching out the subject on Google. But for regular members, it seems ok to me.
Old 11-01-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will lose everything from the phone, and it will be factory fresh again. Contacts, music, videos, pictures, calendar, and bookmarks hould be synced to your computer, so when you plug it in, it will all sync back. I think you'd have to redo your mail settings, and you'd lose text messages and stuff though.

I'd look in iTunes, and look at your iPhone Sync tab. All that stuff should be safe. Anything else will probably get wiped.

Last edited by joeblow69; 11-01-07 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, you lose everything when you restore.
Old 11-05-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't jailbreak mine but I did use the Brick software so I could load apps. I delayed upgrading to the 1.11 firmware until it could be bricked again. I then upgraded firmware which disabled all the installed apps (technically they are still on the phone I just can't see them). But I haven't even bothered to re-brick. Probably won't since Apple announced release of SDK in early '08.
Old 11-05-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nefarious
I didn't jailbreak mine but I did use the Brick software so I could load apps. I delayed upgrading to the 1.11 firmware until it could be bricked again. I then upgraded firmware which disabled all the installed apps (technically they are still on the phone I just can't see them). But I haven't even bothered to re-brick. Probably won't since Apple announced release of SDK in early '08.
I jailbreaked mine. Installed a bunch of apps that makes the iphone much, much better (games, chat, customizations). I'm a bit worried as to what would happen when I update the firmware on the next go around. Its not hacked, I use AT&T so I'm assuming that the apps will just be deleted.

I know about the SDK. Its coming out in early February so I thought it was worth it to try out some apps now. So far its very worth it.