Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Asus Eee laptop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Asus Eee laptop?

Old 10-31-07, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asus Eee laptop?

Anyone have opinions or tempted like I am to try out the new budget Asus Eee? It's the new Linux based 7" laptop available in the US this week. A Windows XP version should be available in a few weeks. Best Buy and NewEgg should be carrying it. The 4Gb flash HD model is out this week, an 8Gb shortly. It comes with 512Mb or 1Gb RAM.

The tempting bits: lightweight 2-2.5 lbs, preloaded with Firefox, Open Office suite, Adobe Reader. 3 USB ports, wifi, quick start ups...and it's not Windows. Not sure but I think they all four models come with a web cam, too.

Obviously, 7" is small, so you probably wouldn't want it as a primary machine, there's no CD/DVD drive though I imagine you could mount one via one of the USB ports.

At first glance, it sounds pretty intriguing. Geared towards kids and seniors, it'd make a nice secondary machine, too, I'd think.

reviews
http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/n...itive_feedback
http://laptopmag.com/Review/Exclusiv...Eee-PC-701.htm
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829
Old 10-31-07, 02:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Big cell phone or small laptop? I guess the "full size" keyboard makes it a laptop.
Old 10-31-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm always looking for a reason to tinker around with another gadget... and I find the Asus Eee PC notebook intriguing. But I just can't reach the excitement escape velocity to actually buy one. Maybe if the price was lower or had greater features.
Old 11-02-07, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's pretty cool, but I think Asus screwed the pooch with the pricing.

It was heavily hyped initially as a "$199 laptop", but as you can see, the US version is currently selling for $399. While it's still a lot of stuff in a tiny (sexy) package, you can almost get a full-fledged laptop for $399 these days.

Personally, I'd like a tiny laptop, and I'd even put up with Linux and a 7" screen to get one for $199. For $399? Not so much... Not when I can hit Dell's site on the right day and get a 12" or 14" laptop with a *much* faster processor for $100 more.
Old 11-02-07, 10:21 AM

I'm curious as to what the pricing will be for the 8Gb model. I think I read it will be in the ballpark of $550 or so.

Not when I can hit Dell's site on the right day and get a 12" or 14" laptop with a *much* faster processor for $100 more
Well, there's always an additional premium for miniaturization and portability.
I think it's the portability, not the performance, aspect that makes it attractive.

Apparently, some buyers have been accidently receiving boxes of 5 instead of just 1 Eee from Newegg. No wonder they're out of stock already.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/02/five_eee_pcs/

Last edited by dleedlee; 11-02-07 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 01:45 PM
lxl

$399 is too expensive for me
Old 11-02-07, 03:30 PM

a $200 mini laptop that does basic office apps and internet browsing would be great for many people.

this is not that. but it's getting there.

also 3.5hours is too low. for something with reduced functionality like this i'd expect 6-8hours.
Old 11-02-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was intrigued when it was going to be $199. Double that... not so much.
Old 11-04-07, 01:09 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I'm really tempted to get one of these... but I've already got an Inspiron 700m for portability.