Reload this Page >

GPS Questions - Garmin Nuvi

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-29-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so my wife and I are finally ready to shop for a GPS unit. We are seriously considering Garmin Nuvi, but are open to suggestions. What we like about what we've seen is it's size and the look of the maps.
We do want one that tells you to turn at the street names. We also want it to be portable. Price is a big deal too. I think $400 would be our maximum, but we'd prefer lower.

So, do any of you have any suggestions as to what make or model?
Also, where is the best place to find deals online or in store? Any good recommendations on where to try them out?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give us.

Not sure if this should be in this forum or in the tech area.
Old 10-29-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love the Nuvi 350. I just ordered the European plug-in for a trip to Spain. I use it WAY more than I ever thought I would, including when I'm on foot.

A few complaints are that there's no way to see the time on the main face, at least that I've found. They show you the "estimated time of arrival"; but without a clock, that's kinda useless. Also, a lot of the business database is really outdated. Usually that isn't a problem, because I know that the place I'm going exists, but there are times when I'm traveling somewhere and need, say, a hardware store, so I'll go to the hardware store list and it pulls up a bunch of stores in the area with addresses and phone numbers, which is an awesome feature, except that in many cases, the majority of businesses listed aren't open any more. I use mine for work, and I needed to find a graphics shop in Chicago. 9 out of the first 10 shops it gave me had phone numbers that didn't work. They really need to update it.

That would be my biggest complaint, but to the average user who's navigating to known addresses or larger businesses out of their database, it's fine. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-29-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Nuvi 350 as well. It's got great turn-by-turn directions, it is extremely easy to use, and the updates to the Maps you can download straight from Garmin for free (Although I think it's only for a year.. then you need to purchase updates after that... I think). It's nice and portable so you can use it for geo-caching or move it from car to car which is really handy.

I don't care much that it doesn't show the time since most cars show the time somewhere already but I do miss that it doesn't have an altimeter nor does it "record" your path so you can later hook up to mapsource and have it play your trip back for you.

It does allow an SD card so you can store music, books, or any of the "travel" packs that they sell. The built in MP3 player isn't the greatest but it works. Overall I'd recommend it over some of the cheaper brands out there.
Old 10-29-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

for the Nuvi. it is really small, great battery life when out of the vehicle (or for a bike or motorcycle ride), good voice cues (it even reads names you create), etc. And the best part is the Australian chick's voice.
Old 10-29-07, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the great information so far. I think we may go with the one you suggested (350). It looks like Amazon has the best price (that I could find). Is there any benefit from using Amazon, or does it not really matter too much where you get it?

I heard from one person that prices on these normally drop at Thanksgiving. Is that true? If so, do you think it would be much or just a small decrease?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-29-07, 10:10 PM

How much is it?
Old 10-29-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ElementZ
How much is it?

Good question. If only there were some way to find out how much this product was selling for at Amazon. I guess it will have to remain a mystery.
Old 10-29-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an older Garmin and I love it. My employer bought me a "Mio" which absolutely sucks. DO NOT BUY A MIO. Go with the Garmin. My parents want a GPS and I'm thinking the Nuvi 200W for them. They really don't go very far but I know they worry at night and this will help.
Old 10-29-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester
My parents want a GPS and I'm thinking the Nuvi 200W for them. They really don't go very far but I know they worry at night and this will help.
The 200W doesn't have text to speech, in case your parents might care.
Old 10-29-07, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by ElementZ
How much is it?

$360
Old 10-30-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by saoirse
Price is a big deal too. I think $400 would be our maximum, but we'd prefer lower.

Also, where is the best place to find deals online or in store? Any good recommendations on where to try them out?

Head over to pricegrabber.com and check prices there. You'll pay less than you're expecting.
Old 10-30-07, 01:05 PM
Stealth Moderator

Ritz Camera had the Nuvi 350 on sale a couple months ago for $300. Hopefully black friday will have similar prices.

I'm looking to buy the Nuvi 350 as well, or maybe the Nuvi 650. They are nearly identical, except that the 650 has a bigger screen (4.3" widescreen vs. 3.5" screen), is slightly heavier (6.2 ounces vs. 5.1 ounces), has a slightly shorter battery life (7 hrs vs. 8 hrs), and costs a little bit more ($403 vs. $360 at amazon.com).
Old 10-30-07, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not too familar with black Friday (moved here two years ago tomorrow). Are the sales only on that day, for a week, or to start the Christmas shopping season? Is a large percentage drop normal?

Oh yeah, do they usually come with a warranty or do you have to pay extra for that? Any recommendations?

Last edited by saoirse; 10-30-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 11:56 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on if it's worth it to wait for black Friday? Any guesses on what prices might be like or have been in the past? If not, I'll probably just order it today for the $360 price. Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-31-07, 02:06 PM
Stealth Moderator

I don't remember the Nuvi specifically being on sale at last year's BF, but I do recall some GPS units being on sale. Only 23 days til Black Friday ...

Also, right now, the Nuvi 650 is $380 + $8 shipping at amazon. Something to ponder.
Old 10-31-07, 02:42 PM

Thanks. I don't think I'll wait then (I will be in New Orleans before the sales and thought we should maybe get it early to enjoy there).
Old 10-31-07, 02:42 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=saoirse]Thanks for the info. I'm not too familar with black Friday (moved here two years ago tomorrow). Are the sales only on that day, for a week, or to start the Christmas shopping season? Is a large percentage drop normal?QUOTE]

Black Friday in the US is the day after Thanksgiving which to a great degree kicks off the Xmas shopping season. Its a day on which many stores open at much earlier hours, offer some really good deals for a limited time, and its become tradition for many as a family event of planning the day out and hitting up various stores.

See here for more info.

There are a few dedicated sites that will begin listing deals well before they are made public and even will offer up scans of ads that aren't yet available.

Just know your prices on what you are planning to buy and you can get some good bargains.
Old 11-02-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
And the best part is the Australian chick's voice.
That would be Karen. She's the best. Now, "Drive da highlighted root!"