Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Any free software that let's me combine mp3's?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-29-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have a lot of concert/reprise songs that I would like to make into 1 continous song. Looking at itunes...I've discovered (late) that I could do this at the time I rip the music, but can't combine them after the fact :-\

I would rather not go into my closet and dig up the CDs and rip them all over again.

So, since I rip my stuff @320 mp3 for all my ipod rips...is there anything free out there that can combine mp3's?

If not, I guess I'll have to dig some stuff out :-\

Also, I know I can change the gap between songs to zero, but I like random playlists and it kills me when a song stops...and I'm expecting it to continue...instead I get a new song. This is why I want to combine them.
Old 10-29-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The most popular format is called Albumwrap, but I think the creator is non-free. There are some opensource alternatives called MP3wrap and DJwrap, DJwrap has a GUI called MooseWrap. The advantage to these tools is you don't have to reencode and they also have 'unwrappers" that will let you extract the individual tracks later.

I've never created one, but I've downloaded a few. Basic playback was fine in all the software players I use (don't know about iPod though) but there were a few issues with the timer and navigation.

Another option is to just concatenate the files together. You can do this in DOS with this cmd:

copy "my first file.mp3"+"my second file.mp3" "my one big file.mp3"

Or you can create a zip file with NO COMPRESSION and rename it from .zip to .mp3.
Old 10-29-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You could also use mp3DirectCut, which will allow you to copy and paste mp3s together without re-encoding. The good thing about mp3DirectCut is that you could cut out any gaps between tracks that were formed by the ripping/encoding process.
Old 11-04-07, 03:33 PM

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Old 11-04-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Audacity decodes and then re-encodes mp3s though, causing a drop in quality that may or may not be perceptible. The other options listed above do not re-encode the mp3s, but join them together with the original encodings intact.