Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Fireproof Box Recommendations for Digital Products??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-26-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always thinking that I am "safe" when it comes to back-ups of all my data - I have everything on the computer, everything on 2 different external drives and then every time I get another 4 - 4.3 GB of new photos, data, etc. I burn that data to DVD. HOWEVER!!! If my apartment ever burns down - then EVERYTHING is gone. My situation (living in a foreign country) is not conducive to "off-site storage". Any recommendations on a good fireproof box for back-up DVD's?? I just completed a bunch of research and discovered that the average "fireproof" safe is guaranteed to keep the contents below 350 F. Is that okay for DVD's?? I mean - it seems pretty hot to me.

Another question - why are these fireproof boxes only guaranteed for 1 year? Is the fireproof material which they are made of subject to deterioration over time or what??

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 10-27-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There really is no such thing as fire proof. There is fire resistant, even the best of which are only rated for 2 hours of exposure before they fail. If you're going to purchase such a safe in the hopes of saving something like DVDs which have a fairly low melting point, I would think it would be a waste of money. If you want to guarantee your data survives in case of a disaster of some sort, there aren't many options outside of offsite storage.
Old 10-28-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, thank you Thrush, I appreciate your response. Guess I'd better get myself one of those little Buffalo Mini-Stations or something and copy everything to that and bring it in to the office and then take it home and synch it about once a week.
Old 10-28-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you could also just copy everything to an online backup service

http://www.idrive.com/

Much better than betting on a fire safe
Old 10-28-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been looking to buy a safe, and although it seems like there are some that will protect your CDs, DVDs, for a while. Like these Sentry safes are rated for 2 hours up to 1850 degrees F.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/p...ail.aspx?s=188
Old 10-29-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gambit: I noticed this when I downloaded the owner's manual at sentry safe:

ETL verified fire claim
For models starting with: MS, DS, CS, OS, KS
ETL verified for 1 hour fire protection of CDs, DVDs, memory
sticks and USB drives up to 1700F.

For models starting with: MA, DA, CA, OA
ETL verified for 2 hour fire protection of CDs, DVDs, memory
sticks and USB drives up to 1850F.

This was not something which I had noticed earlier when I looked at the sentry website. Thanks for making me go back to their website.

danwiz
Old 10-29-07, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz
Another question - why are these fireproof boxes only guaranteed for 1 year? Is the fireproof material which they are made of subject to deterioration over time or what??
This is likely more financial/actuarial/insurance/business than it is science. The guarantee means they pay you some money if the box "fails" within a year. They're betting the box is gonna work and/or you're gonna wait longer than a year to have your fire.
Old 10-30-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another question: How much heat can a CD/DVD endure?? They state that the INTERIOR of the box will not exceed 350 degrees F. That seems pretty hot to me. I mean, assuming that the CD/DVD is in a jewel case, even if the CD/DVD itself doesn't melt, won't the jewel case melt and render the CD/DVD useless? I have no idea!
Old 10-31-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
you could also just copy everything to an online backup service

http://www.idrive.com/

Much better than betting on a fire safe
Similar to what I do ... I use SyncBackSE and sync certain directories online. My computer can shit the bed and I can download and be up and running in a matter of hours.
Old 10-31-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz
Another question: How much heat can a CD/DVD endure??
I have seen reports that claim as high at 80 C - I am not sure I believe that though
Old 10-31-07, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I have seen reports that claim as high at 80 C - I am not sure I believe that though
Hot coffee/espresso is 80C+ and is drinkable by human beings. So a piece of plastic able to handle 80C doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Old 11-01-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4KRG: If you read the threads over in the DVD Talk Forum you see people recommending others to place problematic DVDs into a pan of boiling water and boil them for a few minutes. Several people swear that this cures many of the problems with DVDs which have problems playing. So, they can surely withstand temperatures as high as 100 C.
Old 11-01-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

- cool

It's just never anything I have worried about
Old 11-07-07, 11:10 AM

I was just searching for a fireproof hard drive option and stumbled upon your thread. I went to the sentry website and saw these new fire resistant Hard Drive products.. Any thoughts?

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/b...cumentSecurity

It seems some of the safes have usb internal hard drives and some of them have fire resistant enclosures.