Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

TV cable (dual HD) box > portable HD > laptop viewing - How to do?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-25-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read, this should not break site rules as I have no intention of distributing anything. If it is I apologize and will understand if this is locked.

I have a Magnavox (dual HD) cable box where I record shows for playback.

Has anyone ever copied saved broadcast shows to a portable hard drive then played them back their computer?

i.e. cable box > portable HD > laptop

If so, how did you accomplish this?

I am trying to take the saved shows to a cabin I have. No TV or cable reception there but I would take my laptop with a portable HD.

Thanks
Old 10-25-07, 01:40 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use a standalone DVR that burns to DVD. I have no need to copy it to a hard drive from there, but it should just be copyable since there's no copy protection.

So it's really up to your recording cable box and whether it can send the files out through a firewire or network connection. Does it have anything like that? The files probably wouldn't be in DVD form so you'd have to use a player that could handle them.
Old 10-25-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one of these that I got from geeks.com about a year ago. Unfortunately, it's no longer available, but I think someone else makes a similar device. The thing that makes it so great (and different) is the dock. I run a cable out from my DirecTV DVR and into the dock, and I can capture any program to it. I also have my DVD player hooked up via svideo, so I can capture from DVD as well. I can also hook in via USB to my PC and transfer music, pictures or other video (avi only though). There is also A/V out to playback on a TV, but I haven't done that to know what the quality would be like.

Last edited by bralph; 10-25-07 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X

So it's really up to your recording cable box and whether it can send the files out through a firewire or network connection. Does it have anything like that? The files probably wouldn't be in DVD form so you'd have to use a player that could handle them.
I'm going to get in touch with the cable co's tech support and inquire about this. It does have several outputs so I am guessing I can capture it with a DVD recorder or even a VCR, just not sure how to get it onto another hard drive. Might have to have a tv-in type of thing.

Originally Posted by bralph
I have one of these that I got from geeks.com about a year ago. Unfortunately, it's no longer available, but I think someone else makes a similar device.
Nice but pricey!
Old 10-25-07, 07:09 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by kayak99
I'm going to get in touch with the cable co's tech support and inquire about this. It does have several outputs so I am guessing I can capture it with a DVD recorder or even a VCR, just not sure how to get it onto another hard drive. Might have to have a tv-in type of thing.
If it just streams it out through a firewire port, like a camera would, it would be easy to capture on the computer.
Old 10-25-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
If it just streams it out through a firewire port, like a camera would, it would be easy to capture on the computer.
I suppose it would just "play" as it would on a cable connection but what program would I use to capture it?
Old 10-26-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice but pricey!
Looks like the newer ones are made by Archos

Doesn't seem too pricey to me. Most DVD recorders are about $200 (less for the cheapies, of course), but this has a lot of added flexibility. Anyway, I love it!
Old 10-26-07, 12:19 PM
X
Administrator

I suppose it would just "play" as it would on a cable connection but what program would I use to capture it?
Most video editing programs have an input or capture function. Get a trial of Ulead VisualStudio and see if that works.