Reload this Page >

Monitors - Dell 24" v Samsung 24"

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-22-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If somebody asks me for a monitor recommendation, my response is usually to go with a Dell. I even go so far as to say their 20" widescreen unit. However, as I look at the 24" (large size needed), I'm not sure if it's worth it compared to some of the others - especially with them being 2/3 the cost!

Anybody have any experience with both units that can chime in? I know the Dell has some more nick-nacks (usb/media reader, etc.), but are really worth ~$200 more?

Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-5647

Samsung SyncMaster 245BW
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=A1162248
Old 10-22-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't had a chance to see the 24" Samsung models in person, but we have some of the 204B 20" monitors, and I prefer Dell's to them based on viewing angles and color, not to mention the USB hub is incredibly handy.

Maybe the 24's are different from Samsung though
Old 10-22-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

when i was looking at the 19" lcds awhile back.. all the reviews said go samsung over basically anything else.. but the samsung prices were higher than most of the other brands..
i bought 2 19" viewsonics to run dual display a couple years ago.. and Im still happy with them... (i had no interest in the dells because they reviews were not good, and i wasnt willing to pay the price for the samsungs)..

its funny to read the reviews on the samsungs now.. where everyone that has bought one, is bashing them.. i guess they didnt manage to keep their level of quality up and they got passed
Old 10-22-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had the dell 20" one for a few years now and no compliants.
Old 10-22-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a Soyo 24" from Officemax. They seem to have them on sale for 300 bucks every couple of weeks. This screen is amazing for the price. There's an LCD thread on Anandtech that mentions it. It's a no-frills monitor (just VGA and non-HDCP-compliant DVI), but I don't regret buying it for a second. I believe the extended 2-year warranty was about $40.
Old 10-23-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm also looking at getting a new monitor soon... want to do the dual monitor thing, plus when I get a new laptop in a few months (hopefully an updated MacBook Pro), I want a widescreen monitor for home use. Was just looking at this one at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001096 but I'm keep an eye open here for suggestions. I would kind of like it to be HDCP compliant, just in case, which this one doesn't appear to be. I see the Dell UltraSharp 24" is though.
Old 10-23-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back in the day, there's talk between the Dell 2407FPW and the Samsung 244T - despite both using the same panel. One reviewer mention that out of the box, the Dell have better color but after calibration the Samsung is better.

I think the Samsung 244T have been discontinued but I have the Dell 2407 and I love it - accurate color, better than my ViewSonic VP2030 when it comes to color accuracy (I've print quite a few photo and compared the result between the print and the display) and viewing angle.

I have no experience with the Samsung 226BW or the 245BW, but I know that the 226BW use a TN panel and based from the price, I think so does the 245BW. In that case, I won't bother getting either because TN panels have inferior color reproduction and viewing angle.

Of course, this is just my preference. If you don't care about color accuracy and viewing angle (TN panel have come a long way in term of viewing angle, but I can't stand the color reproduction), then go ahead and feel free getting the 245BW.
Old 10-23-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Sorry, no exposure to the Sammy, but I'm posting from a Dell 2407WFPb that I've had since February and I really dig it.
Old 10-23-07, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superman07
If somebody asks me for a monitor recommendation, my response is usually to go with a Dell. I even go so far as to say their 20" widescreen unit. However, as I look at the 24" (large size needed), I'm not sure if it's worth it compared to some of the others - especially with them being 2/3 the cost!

Anybody have any experience with both units that can chime in? I know the Dell has some more nick-nacks (usb/media reader, etc.), but are really worth ~$200 more?

Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-5647

Samsung SyncMaster 245BW
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=A1162248
I got to know there is a lower price for the Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for $461 :
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=63216

Last edited by enjoytimes; 10-23-07 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love my Dell 2407FPW!
Old 12-19-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Darknite39
Get a Soyo 24" from Officemax. They seem to have them on sale for 300 bucks every couple of weeks. This screen is amazing for the price. There's an LCD thread on Anandtech that mentions it. It's a no-frills monitor (just VGA and non-HDCP-compliant DVI), but I don't regret buying it for a second. I believe the extended 2-year warranty was about $40.
I've been trying out both the Soyo 24D6 (manufacture date 9/2007) and the Acer X243WBD (manufacture date 10/2007). Price is driving these choices as I didn't want to spend$450+ for a 24" monitor. This week, OfficeMax is selling the Soyo 24D6 for $299.99 (out the door, no rebate), while Office Depot is selling the Acer X243WBD for $349.99 - $70 rebate = $279.99. Supposedly the Soyo has the better 8-bit panel, while the Acer has the TN panel, which is not as highly regarded.

At the same viewing height for both monitor:

Soyo has better viewing angles (light output seems more consistent even if you move your head around to simulate off-axis viewing).

Soyo has better color saturation (or perhaps the viewing angles helps in maintaining color throughout my field of vision), the Acer was a little awkward to stare at in the bottom left or right of the screen.

Soyo is more neutral (but still a little on the blue side even with color temp at 6500), not overwhelmingly bright like the Acer, easier to stare at for longer periods of time (this is even with reducing the brightness from 50 to 15 on the Acer, while keeping brightness level around 50-55 on the Soyo).

Acer has a little better black levels than the Soyo (I just looked at DVDs and Xvid encoded videos to test black levels). The Soyo is a little too washed out in the black portion of the screen during fullscreen video playback. I wish the Soyo had better black levels, but I guess that's the reason this is a $300 24" monitor, while you shell out a bit more for monitors with better black levels and good color fidelity.

I think even with the black level deficiency, I'll be keeping the Soyo over the Acer, but I'll keep staring at the monitor for a few more days.

No obvious bad or stuck pixels on either monitors for now.
Old 12-19-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude, don't get the soyo. There's an overheating issue that can cause black lines of dead pixels (eventually). Mine developed a line after 3 months of use. I did the rebuy-return thing to get another one, and everything's fine...for now, but I have the contrast set a lot lower to try to keep things cooler. Google search it. I think Anandtech is the forum where I first read about the problem...after it happened to me.

Well, OK. Let me qualify this statement by saying that you could get the monitor, which produces a pretty picture, AND get a square trade warranty (which I plan to get in a few days). You should then be covered if you have an issue.

I meant to update this thread a while ago, but I forgot to do so.