Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

low bandwidth settings on high bandwidth?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-19-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically I have a fast internet connection, but I have very limited monthly usage. Anyone have any tips on how to set IE/FF to download very low res versions of images or something like that? I don't want to go totally no images, but want to use as little bandwidth as possible while still looking fairly normal... I have the FF no flash pluggin installed...

Thanks.
Old 10-22-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not really possible AFAIK. Sites don't just have different versions of the images stored. Some have versions optimized for tablet PC browsing which would help, but I don't know of a way to automatically select that edition each time (though they may use cookies to select it when returning).

The best you can do is just to block ads, but for DVD Talk I believe it's against the TOS. You're probably already blocking pop-ups. I'd turn off sounds if you haven't done so by now.
Old 10-23-07, 07:45 PM

You can turn all images off, then selectively show the ones you want/need to see. It won't look "fairly normal", but on frequently-visited pages, you generally know what's where.

Last edited by jonnyquest; 10-23-07 at 07:48 PM.