Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Laptop boots up to desktop wallpaper, but nothing else!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-19-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is experiencing a strange problem with her work laptop. It's a Dell D620 w/XP. Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago and still continuing today, when she brings it home and boots it up, it comes up to the desktop wallpaper, but no desktop icons appear. You can move the mouse cursor, but that's it. No taskbar, no start menu via the Windows key, Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work, nothing. A few times, after several reboots and a long 30-minute wait period, we finally got it to come up. But this is happening EVERY night now when she brings it home. She's never experienced this at work.

I guess the only difference between home and work is that at work she's plugged into the network when she boots, while at home we have a wireless network, and yes, the laptop automatically connects to it when it does boot up completely.

Any ideas?
Old 10-19-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

have you tried booting with the wireless card disabled to see if it comes right up?
have her disable the wireless card before she leaves work today.. and then see if it comes up cleanly when she boots it tonight..
then enable the wireless card and see if it stalls the machine at all, or if it just goes ahead and connects to your wireless network

this wont give you your answer.. just step 1 of your troubleshooting, and may lead to to an acceptable work around at the very least
Old 10-25-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
That's kinda weird. About a year ago, mine started doing something similar but hitting ctrl-alt-del once brings everything up. About half the time from a reset it'll go right into normal windows boot up and about half the time it'll stay on a blank background and I have to hit the keys to have it complete it's boot-up/login. Never figured out why.
Old 10-26-07, 06:23 PM

Boot into safe mode and check event logs, etc.
Old 10-26-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far, the only workaround I've found is to slide the wireless radio switch on the side of the laptop to the off position while booting. Once I see the desktop icons, I switch it back on.