Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does my wireless connection suck so badly?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-17-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wireless Netgear router, which has worked flawlessly for me in the past. My GF has connected her laptop to it for over a year with great results. Last week, I finally got a wireless card for my PC. I went with a Buffalo Technologies WLI2-PCI-6545. It works, but my connection is in a constant state of flux. I go from a good connection to a low connection minute by minute. Also, a few times during the day it will drop to a 1.0Mbps connection rate and basically crap out for a few minutes. Is the card the issue? I don't think it's the router because as I said, the GF never had problems like this. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-19-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No one?
Old 10-19-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
How far away are you from the router? Is your girlfriend's laptop closer?

If the connection status seems to change, my guess is there's some sort of interference between you and the router. I always thought Buffalo was on the cheap end of hardware too.
Old 10-19-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah you bought a shit card you ask me. Is it using G or B, was it pci or usb card. More info.
Old 10-19-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a wireless G card, PCI. This one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125238693622

The GF"s laptop was in the same exact place my PC is now. I'd say we are about 20-30 feet away, basically down the end of a hallway.
Old 10-19-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The card has gotten great reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techno...2848135&sr=1-2
Old 10-20-07, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe its on a busy IRQ and its sharing to much causing issues. Set the router for G only don't let it do both B and G. Move antenna around a little although that's why I didn't get a pci one, I didnt want it stuck in a shitty spot behind a desk or pc, bascially attacked down there so low. Went for USB one I could put where ever I felt like.
Old 10-21-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the card is a goner. I forgot I had a WifiMax for the DS and PSP lying around that my brother gave me, and you can use that as a normal USB wireless adapter. Downloaded the current drivers for that, took out the old POS card, and I'm up and running in no time . Connection is much more stable and fast. Now to get my $40 back for this shitty card and spend it on something useful.