DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Two Random Questions: Hyperthreading & Upconverting (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/514504-two-random-questions-hyperthreading-upconverting.html)

poetic_power 10-15-07 01:30 PM

Two Random Questions: Hyperthreading & Upconverting

I've always had the question about if duel processors and hyperthreading are the same thing. Does hyperthreading technology have two core processors like other duel processors or just one processor but acts like two?

My last question is about DVD players that can upconvert to 1080i. I really don't know what this means. What does upconvert mean?

Thanks for your time.

timewaster 10-15-07 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by poetic_power
I've always had the question about if duel processors and hyperthreading are the same thing. Does hyperthreading technology have two core processors like other duel processors or just one processor but acts like two?

My last question is about DVD players that can upconvert to 1080i. I really don't know what this means. What does upconvert mean?

Thanks for your time.

no. hyperthreading has some build in routines in the processor that makes it more efficient when switching between threads. It is essentially 1 processor being shared among multiple applications or threads within an application.

dvd output is something like 480 lines. HD is about 720-1080 lines.
upconversion takes the dvd output and converts it into HD resolution.

poetic_power 10-15-07 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster
no. hyperthreading has some build in routines in the processor that makes it more efficient when switching between threads. It is essentially 1 processor being shared among multiple applications or threads within an application.

dvd output is something like 480 lines. HD is about 720-1080 lines.
upconversion takes the dvd output and converts it into HD resolution.

So when talking about upconverting, if you have a DVD player that can upconvert to 1080i, does that mean that you can watch regular DVDs at 1080i not just 480p?

Mordred 10-15-07 02:02 PM

So when talking about upconverting, if you have a DVD player that can upconvert to 1080i, does that mean that you can watch regular DVDs at 1080i not just 480p?

That's what it means, but a DVD upconverted to 1080i won't look as good as a true 720p or 1080i HD source. It should look better than the original DVD though.

X 10-15-07 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
That's what it means, but a DVD upconverted to 1080i won't look as good as a true 720p or 1080i HD source. It should look better than the original DVD though.

It depends on whether the scaler is better in the player or your display.

I use an HTPC that is equivalent to the very best upconverters and have only noticed a very slight improvement when toggling between upconverting and not when used with a display with a very good scaler.

poetic_power 10-15-07 02:18 PM

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Dr Mabuse 10-15-07 04:33 PM

hyperthreading is a motherboard technology to utilize two or more cores in a single processor... to emulate multiple processors... which, when HT is enabled on a dual core CPU for instance... shows the cores as two separate processors in windows... so as you surmise above... it's "just one processor but acts like two?"...

right now an 8 core processor that runs 4 threads per core is the most sophisticated CPU in actual use... intel has 4 core processors running... not sure about AMD...

the cores are meant to emulate multiple processors... but there is no substitute for multiple processors when it comes to pure processing power... the multiple cores get into 'slap fights' over the access to the system resources trying to get to system memory... resources such as execution units, cache, and time on the bus to even hit system memory... so the much faster bus front side bus speeds are making dual-core (poor man's dual cpu) much more mainstream... and it does increase performance greatly... but they cannot match the power of dual processors...

i actually have some very informative graphs generated by thorough benchmarks on single CPU systems with and without HT enabled... and a dual CPU system with and without HT enabled... and a comparison of the single CPU to the dual CPU systems overall and the impact of HT on the dual cores as to performance... they show even a much faster CPU clock speed with a much faster front side bus on a single CPU system with HT enabled cannot compete with a slower CPU's and FSB dual processor system with HT not enabled, or with HT enabled...

BUT...

it also shows that HT enabled on dual core CPU's dramatically increases performance of every type on a system... be that system single or dual CPU...

i don't use anything like 'image shack' and i can't load the images directly to this forum... most of the forums i visit allow direct insertion of images... some even host their own image galleries to link to... so i've been lazy...

but maybe i need to get one of those hosting accounts for use here because this is a cool forum... i like it here...

anyway...

if you like this kind of discussion i am a member of a forum dedicated to this type of discussion... we discuss stuff like this in great depth, sounds exciting huh?... the dualcpu forums... or 2cpu... Link...

poetic_power 10-15-07 10:28 PM

Wow, thanks Dr. Mabuse for the in-depth explanation of hyperthreading. Very interesting stuff.