Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

BANG for the BUCK mp3 (no Ipod!)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

BANG for the BUCK mp3 (no Ipod!)

Old 10-15-07, 12:44 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BANG for the BUCK mp3 (no Ipod!)

I am categorically against ipods. They seem too expensive - all pop - and I am sure a lot of competitors on the market make just as good products at better prices, albeit less fashionable.

I need an mp3 player. Which would you recommend?
A lot - or, SOME - storage space is a must
Old 10-15-07, 12:44 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$100 for 30 gig Zune at Buy.com.
Old 10-15-07, 12:55 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you're going to buy music online, i'd seriously think about the IPod. Microsoft seems to change it's strategy every year in this area and music you buy for one player may not be compatible in a future MS player. not so with IPods
Old 10-15-07, 02:54 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a matter of principle I am opposed to buying an ipod.

There MUST be something as good for a lower price.

How about some creative stuff or something.
Old 10-15-07, 03:06 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Sandisk Sansa C250 - You can find them at some places for $50 for the 2gb version (can be expanded to 4gb with micro SD)

Since you are not in the US, you might have a harder time with that

It is small and light, user replaceable rechargeable battery (lasts about 18 hours), EQ, controls are easy - my 8 year old can drive it.


I agree with you on the i-poo'd - I just don't want to own an apple product.


I have also seen the older Sansa C140 for $25 for the 1gb edition at various closeout sites.
Old 10-15-07, 03:07 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
if you're going to buy music online,
Then you must own a product like this

http://tunebite.com/en/remove_drm/index.html

and use whatever the hell player you want to use
Old 10-15-07, 03:33 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
$100 for 30 gig Zune at Buy.com.
I have to agree. $100 for a 30GB Zune is pretty good right now, especially since it also plays video very well.
Old 10-15-07, 05:50 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally broke down and bought an 80GB Video iPod recently, after using a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra for many years. The iPod, in short, sucks. It's almost useless to me. I hate, hate, hate the wheel; it doesn't automatically power off when I turn the car off (as my Nomad does); and it's forever locking up and requiring shenanigans to get restarted.

With that said, I've heard nothing but good things about the new Creative Zen line. I wish I would have stuck with that.
Old 10-15-07, 07:30 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,089
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 80GB Ipod pauses and then turns off when I shut off the car, it must depend on what dock you are using?

I use the Belkin F8V7058-APL Auto Kit.
Old 10-15-07, 08:00 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Then you must own a product like this

http://tunebite.com/en/remove_drm/index.html

and use whatever the hell player you want to use
I believe ITunes will let you export music you bought to an mp3 for no extra cost.

even if you buy this software the player you bought is going to be a paperweight. at least my black and white Ipod can still play music i will download this week from my the 2 free tracks i will get from my starbucks card

if i buy a zune than how do i know if MS won't change their strategy again and i won't be able to play music from their next music store? i'm pretty sure my ancient ipod will still be able to play music from itunes for years to come

Last edited by al_bundy; 10-15-07 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 08:28 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al - I have no idea WTF you are trying to say

The money you spend on a battery replacement for your old Ipod will be enough for me to buy an entirely new player at some point.

Personal music players, welcome to the new electronic toy that you will WANT to purchase a new one every 2 to 3 years.

I can use software to turn music from any format, into any format, therefore never losing the ability to play it.
Old 10-15-07, 09:29 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
The money you spend on a battery replacement for your old Ipod will be enough for me to buy an entirely new player at some point.
A new battery is like $15 on eBay.

I don't understand why some people can't just like their player without putting the iPod down.
Old 10-16-07, 12:52 AM
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,077
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't there a WOOT sale on the Zune for 100$? Is it the same as Buy.com, or a bigger version? I'm pretty sure it was the best deal out there. Factory refurb'd with a year warranty.

E
Old 10-16-07, 08:18 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Al - I have no idea WTF you are trying to say

The money you spend on a battery replacement for your old Ipod will be enough for me to buy an entirely new player at some point.

Personal music players, welcome to the new electronic toy that you will WANT to purchase a new one every 2 to 3 years.

I can use software to turn music from any format, into any format, therefore never losing the ability to play it.

why would i want to buy a new ipod every few years? it doesn't sound better, i can't possibly listen to all the music on it within a normal amount of time, i'm not going to buy movies or TV shows on Itunes since i'd rather buy it on DVD.

when mine finally breaks for good, i'll probably get a new one but i don't see the point of buying a new one every few years. and meanwhile i'm sure that my old ipod will be able to sync with itunes for at least several years and play anything i might buy or my wife might buy
Old 10-16-07, 08:36 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,569
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
I am categorically against ipods. They seem too expensive - all pop - and I am sure a lot of competitors on the market make just as good products at better prices, albeit less fashionable.

I need an mp3 player. Which would you recommend?
A lot - or, SOME - storage space is a must
I once thought like you but then (for lack of better options) I purchased a iPod, now I own 4 of them and am planning to buy more.

I have an iPod for my music, one for my audiobooks and one for when I go in to the gym; I use any combination of them 4-5 hours everday.
Old 10-16-07, 08:58 AM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
As a matter of principle I am opposed to buying an ipod.

There MUST be something as good for a lower price.

How about some creative stuff or something.

Lower price? Sure.

As good? Not a chance.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-07, 10:00 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
why would i want to buy a new ipod every few years?
Size and battery life. They keep getting smaller, and the battery life of your old one will be next to worthless in 5 years.

I am not saying that I will buy a new unit every 2-3 years either, but people that are really into it do.

My only point is, the music can be transferred from player to player with ease if you know how, so your point of using i-tunes for enternity because the player supports it is moot.
Old 10-16-07, 10:07 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
if you're going to buy music online, i'd seriously think about the IPod. Microsoft seems to change it's strategy every year in this area and music you buy for one player may not be compatible in a future MS player. not so with IPods
You know, Amazon now sells DRM free MP3s encoded at 256kbps.
Old 10-16-07, 10:54 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,883
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Creative Zen Vision is in every way better than the iPod of similar capacity, especially in screen resolution.
Old 10-16-07, 10:57 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Size and battery life. They keep getting smaller, and the battery life of your old one will be next to worthless in 5 years.

I am not saying that I will buy a new unit every 2-3 years either, but people that are really into it do.

My only point is, the music can be transferred from player to player with ease if you know how, so your point of using i-tunes for enternity because the player supports it is moot.

with itunes and ipod all i do is plug the new ipod in and music is transfered over. no wasting time transfering music from one format to another.
Old 10-16-07, 11:09 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A buddy of mine recently bought a Cowan. I must admint, the build quality and interface are pretty good for non-iPod. Better/more flexible than my old Creative.
Old 10-16-07, 11:57 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Isn't there a WOOT sale on the Zune for 100$? Is it the same as Buy.com, or a bigger version? I'm pretty sure it was the best deal out there. Factory refurb'd with a year warranty.

E
Buy.com is new, not refurb.
Old 10-16-07, 12:08 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Decadance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,781
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your plan is to use it solely in the car, I advise on getting a receiver with a usb port and just getting a hard drive. Makes life much much easier.
Old 10-16-07, 01:09 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of iPods or iTunes but, damn, the iPod shuffle is pretty good.
Old 10-17-07, 10:55 PM
  #25  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: In Transit, HQ
Posts: 25,006
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How come every mp3 thread turns into an "iPod vs. other" thread??

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for when it comes to mp3 players. Whether it was $50 I paid for the 256MB Rio Chiba or the $400 I paid for the 16GB iPod Touch, they are all pretty much worth their price, IMHO.

So ... BANG for the BUCK? I say that they are all pretty much equal.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.