Reload this Page >

Need virus protection for my Mac?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-11-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a Mac. Do I need to buy virus protection or any other Mcafee type of protection? Why or why not?
Old 10-11-07, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Do I need to buy virus protection or any other Mcafee type of protection?
No, at least not right now.

Why or why not?
There are no OS X viruses or malware in the wild. There have been a few proof-of-concepts released over the years, but nothing that's spread very far.

Note that if you're planning on running Parallels or VMWare Fusion, you'll want to have a Windows security suite. Windows running inside of a VM is just as vulnerable to malware as Windows running outside of a VM.
Old 10-12-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks! I wasn't sure, especially since I'm using Word for Mac and some other MS software.
Old 10-12-07, 09:55 PM

Just got a Mac. Do I need to buy virus protection or any other Mcafee type of protection? Why or why not?

I have an Imac. I do have Norton AntiVirus on it, I figure $35 wouldn't kill me!

I keep thinking that some joker is out there trying to perfect his "special Mac virus" just to prove he can!
Old 10-12-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whenever I hear someone has an antivirus program on their Mac, it reminds me of the South Park episode where they wear condoms all day to keep from getting AIDS.
Old 10-13-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of the Virus creators are Mac Fanboys out to prove a point by attacking PC users so you probably don't need to worry.
Old 10-13-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bodes well for Linux users too, huh?

Thanks for the VMWare tip. I wanted to get Office 2007 up and running under Linux (heh) because I need it for a class, but I might have to go the VMWare route as Wine doesn't run it.

I'm sure Wine will eventually run it, but my class will be done by then.
Old 10-13-07, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Bodes well for Linux users too, huh?
Linux doesn't have much along the lines of traditional viruses or other malware like the kinds that attack Windows machines, but some worms pop up from time to time. (These things can affect OS X as well, but most of the interesting attacks are against services like OpenSSH and Apache that are more likely to be enabled by default on Linux machines.)

If you're running Linux, the best thing you can do is run as few network-facing services as possible and keep your system up-to-date. Ubuntu has a very nice "no open ports out of the box" policy, but if you're running another distro you'll want to check to see what's running at startup. And, of course, keep a firewall up and running at all times.

If your distro supports SELinux or AppArmor, enabling it can minimize the damage an attacker could do if (s)he finds a security hole. But in my experience, SELinux often needs tweaking to keep from locking out legitimate older programs, so be warned.
Old 10-13-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So when I hear one of the selling points of a Mac is that they don't get viruses... it isn't because it can't, or because it's protected... its because nobody's written a virus for OS X?!? Is it the same for spyware?

So basically Mac is an open door when someone wants to get serious about spreading an OS X virus?

That's pretty retarded.
Old 10-13-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The OS is pretty secure on top of the fact that the lion's share of viruses go to the OS with the lion's share of users. I think the fact that the OS is more secure than most and has a small market share prevents people from bothering.

And if you ask me, spyware and malware are in the same class as viruses, so that should answer your question.
Old 10-14-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GHackmann
If you're running Linux, the best thing you can do is run as few network-facing services as possible and keep your system up-to-date. Ubuntu has a very nice "no open ports out of the box" policy, but if you're running another distro you'll want to check to see what's running at startup. And, of course, keep a firewall up and running at all times.
I got PCLinuxOS, heard anything about that particular distribution in regards to security?

I have it running behind my router firewall along with Firestarter.