Reload this Page >

Which Photoshop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Which Photoshop?

Old 10-11-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Photoshop?

I'm not some major graphic artist or anything... but I want a good deal of functionality in my image editing software. I want to be able to do anything from resizing a photo to adding custom lettering, titles, croping, all the basic photo-editing stuff in Picasa, but also I want to be able to fix problems... for example:

Here is a photo of our wedding cake:

Notice that there is a hole in the top of the cake... I want to fix it so that the top of the cake looks solid. But I would also like to participate in some of the photoshop threads here from time to time, and as such I would need to be able to cut from one image and paste into another.

So my question is this... is Photoshop Elements enough for what I want to do? Or will I need CS3? I really don't want to have to pay $700 for CS3... I almost bought Elements 5 at Sam's Club for $80 last night... if Elements is the way to go is that cool? Or should I spend the full $99 and get Elements 6?

I don't want freeware, and I'm willing to spend about $100 if the program will do what I want. Are the Corel applications worth anything compared to PS? Any other suggestions?
Old 10-11-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've alway used the full version of Photoshop, so I can't comment on the functionality in Elements because I've never used it, but I'm sure someone here can. My guess would be opt for 6 over 5 if you can swing it, $$-wise.

If it has the equivalent of Photoshop's rubberstamp tool you're good to go. The above fix took all of about 5 seconds.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-11-07 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I've alway used the full version of Photoshop, so I can't comment on the functionality in Elements because I've never used it, but I'm sure someone here can. My guess would be opt for 6 over 5 if you can swing it, $$-wise.

If it has the equivalent of Photoshop's rubberstamp tool you're good to go. The above fix took all of about 5 seconds.
Thanks... and believe me, if that was the only fix, then I would have just posted the full-resolution photo and asked for the fix - I know how easy that one was... some of my others are not so easy... but alas the wife doesn't want ALL of our wedding photos to be public... and I can use it as an excuse to get a full version of photoshop - most likely Elements... unless it can't do what I want. Why do they have a demo of CS3 but not of the cheaper Elements program?
Old 10-11-07, 01:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, this does present an opportunity for some photoshopping of the bride and groom on that cake ...
Old 10-11-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife used Elements for a while and she really liked it, but she really enjoys CS3 more....Elements is a decent program though.
Old 10-11-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Elements can do all sorts that you need to do - clone, add text, touch up and more. If you just want basic photo edit software, then Elements is for you.
Old 10-11-07, 05:44 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll pick it up then.
Old 10-11-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not positive as I've never used it but I think GIMP can do the things you need and is a free program.

http://www.gimp.org
Old 10-11-07, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by T-bone22
I'm not positive as I've never used it but I think GIMP can do the things you need and is a free program.

http://www.gimp.org
Thanks... Actually I've been wanting Photoshop for a while now, and this is the opportunity to get it. Also, I like the organizer aspect of Elements, so now I can have all of my photo needs in 1 place, rather than using the Zoombrowser to organize and Gimp or something else to edit. Anyway, the DL took a bit of time, but I've got Elements up and running already.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-11-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should also consider PSP

http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/st...FQR_HgoddjdjkQ
Old 10-12-07, 01:54 PM

I used to use PSP back when it was JASC... I didn't know it became a Corel product.

I went ahead and got Elements 6, and so far I am really liking it.
Old 10-16-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does Elements ever go on sale in BestBuy/Staples/CompUSA? or should I go ahead and spend the $99 now?
Old 10-16-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sinned
does Elements ever go on sale in BestBuy/Staples/CompUSA? or should I go ahead and spend the $99 now?
If you have Costco card or know anyone who's member there, it cost $89.99.
Old 10-16-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not sure what functionality Elements has, but GIMP is pretty good if you have some patience in learning the program and you've never used Photoshop before. If you're well established in Photoshop, GIMP is an absolute atrocity.

(IMHO)
Old 10-16-07, 02:49 PM

Of course PSP is on sale for $50 at Best Buy this week... oh well, Elements is really nice!
Old 10-16-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Elements at work because they wouldn't buy me CS3. I have CS3 at home and love it. Elements does most of the things I want, albeit in a clunky and slow way. It works and if all your .PSD files come from Elements then you won't have many complaints.