Reload this Page >

Yahoo! Mail Beta is the WORST

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not believe how many glitches there is with the site. I can never go through a day without having something go wrong.

Cant read messages (hang when opening)
Click on contacts and the frames comes up with nothing else
Server errors
Mail coming in 2 hours after it was sent

I constantly have to restart my computer in hopes it does something.

Sorry for the vent but I am wondering if it is just me or if any other people are experiencing these types of problems.

I am running it with Firefox.
Old 10-10-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

if it helps any.. Ive never had a single issue with my gmail account, or the page
Old 10-10-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes it hangs for me, and I just switch to classic view, and go back to beta later. I use IE
Old 10-10-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
if it helps any.. Ive never had a single issue with my gmail account, or the page

I agree gmail is so much better than yahoo mail.
Old 10-10-07, 11:41 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went back to classic. The beta has too much going on to run as smoothly.
Old 10-10-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't use Yahoo mail but doesn't the beta part of the name imply it will be glitchy?
Old 10-10-07, 12:26 PM

Go with gmail, you can't say Yahoo! anymore when you get an e-mail but you'll have less problems.
Old 10-10-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've said this before, but everything Yahoo! did on their last batch of "upgrades" sucks. In an effort to differentiate themselves from Google's streamlined simplicity with glitz and bloat, they also differentiated themselves by having everything take forever to load and fail 20% of the time. For a while, I kept using MyYahoo after they screwed everything up, but then they "upgraded" that too, where I can't default my TV listings to the current day's primetime and have to click through bloated slow-loading nonsense to get that simple information. Who the hell wants to know what's on now anyway? If I could watch TV now, I wouldn't be on the Internet looking at listings; I'd be watching TV and browsing a guide with my remote. I use the Internet to see what's on later. If I didn't have fantasy leagues to worry about, Yahoo! would have upgraded me away from their site completely.

das
Old 10-10-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've said this before, but everything Yahoo! did on their last batch of "upgrades" sucks. In an effort to differentiate themselves from Google's streamlined simplicity with glitz and bloat, they also differentiated themselves by having everything take forever to load and fail 20% of the time. For a while, I kept using MyYahoo after they screwed everything up, but then they "upgraded" that too, where I can't default my TV listings to the current day's primetime and have to click through bloated slow-loading nonsense to get that simple information. Who the hell wants to know what's on now anyway? If I could watch TV now, I wouldn't be on the Internet looking at listings; I'd be watching TV and browsing a guide with my remote. I use the Internet to see what's on later. If I didn't have fantasy leagues to worry about, Yahoo! would have upgraded me away from their site completely.

das
You're obviously not a user of Google Reader - go ahead and give it a spin - this is currently the worst app out of the big service providers. I like the layout and design though so that's why I use it but it crashes more than any app they have and it's a mystery as to why they rushed it out of labs.
Old 10-10-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've said this before, but everything Yahoo! did on their last batch of "upgrades" sucks. In an effort to differentiate themselves from Google's streamlined simplicity with glitz and bloat, they also differentiated themselves by having everything take forever to load and fail 20% of the time.
That's pretty much the way every upgrade goes: buggy and bloated.
Old 10-10-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the new Yahoo! Mail interface but I highly recommend broadband because it's the only way the interface loads decently fast.
Old 10-16-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried the beta a while back and hated it. I'm dreading when they go to it for good. I've had my Yahoo email address for far too long to switch now.
Old 10-17-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It no longer says "Beta" on mine...Does that mean it's permanent now and everyone has to use it?
Old 10-17-07, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
It no longer says "Beta" on mine...Does that mean it's permanent now and everyone has to use it?

doesnt say Beta on mine anymore either...and the page turned BLUE.

You can probably still use classic, the fact that its not Beta thinks they have tested it enough and its met their standards to be an actual product. LOL.
Old 10-17-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My page turned blue as well.
Old 10-17-07, 10:31 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
I went back to classic. The beta has too much going on to run as smoothly.
Ditto. Every few weeks, I'll try the beta (or "new" now since it's no longer "beta) version only to go right back to the classic version. The classic is so much faster.

HOWEVER, I use gmail for my primary e-mail. Yahoo as my secondary.