Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

iGoogle or Google Reader...Which do you prefer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-09-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly no longer use bookmarks and I find myself constantly switching/using iGoogle & Google Reader. I was never really a big fan of portal pages but iGoogle attracts me for some reason - it does run smooth and they (Third party developers/Google Developers) are finally making gadgets that work within the gadget as opposed to just opening a link to a web page.

Google Reader is cool too due to how easy it is to use and I do love seeing all my sites/content on one page. Two problems with Reader: 1. It's way too buggy and released from beta too early. 2. Well, this is more of a personal problem I guess...........I don't visit too many websites these days so while it's kinda pointless for me to use a feed reader.......I do think they are pretty cool.

Anyone else use these services? If so, which do you prefer?

Oh and for what's it worth, iGoogle, My Yahoo, & Live cannot compete with Page Flakes(terrible name) or net vibes - check them out and you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-09-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: iGoogle or Google Reader...Which do you prefer?

I was just searching to see what people thought about igoogle because I just found out about. You probably know this but igoogle has google reader gadget so you can use them both at the same time. No need to decide which is better. I believe there is a gadget for all google apps.

After using it for a day I like it but I'm no sure if I like it more than my yahoo page.
Old 01-09-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

igoogle is nice for things like google news, gmail and a few other windows. i've found that a lot of times if you have a gadget the content is way out of date.

trying to force myself to use google reader. i liked IE's method of saving RSS feeds. found one for firefox, but too lazy to migrate everything manually. with google reader it seems you can't put a folder inside a folder
Old 01-09-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use igoogle. I don't see the need for Reader since I can add RSS feeds to igoogle.
Old 01-09-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use iGoogle, too, because it allows me to have several types of content on a page and just view the headlines I want, briefly, alongside that content.

Google Reader is a bit too much information since I only follow a few feeds. Plus, it's one more place to have to go each day. I prefer to just scan the headlines on iGoogle when I launch my browser (it's my start page).
Old 01-09-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use both. iGoogle is my start page, where I can glimpse at my GMail, as well as casual news that I'm sometimes interested in. I use Google Reader separately to check news on sites I want to view more often but sometimes forget (over 40+ feeds). Friends blogs, tech news, etc. I also have a bookmark to Google Reader on my iPhone home page so it brings me directly to the latest feeds wherever I am. Great if I'm bored at the bank or something.

Also, I have a bookmark in my browser called "Note in Reader" where I can click it, and it brings up a pop-up where I can write a note and share the link and it's contents in Google Reader with my friends in the Reader. Really useful if I browse across something I think my friends would like.
Old 01-10-09, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never had a Google Reader.

i do have an igoogle page, but honestly, today is the first day I have looked at in at least 6 mos.

With tabbed browsing, I like having everything in its own tab, and felt igoogle was no real benefit.
Old 01-10-09, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

igoogle mostly.
Old 01-10-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Oh and for what's it worth, iGoogle, My Yahoo, & Live cannot compete with Page Flakes(terrible name) or net vibes - check them out and you'll see what I mean.
Agreed ... I've been using netvibes for a while.