Reload this Page >

Win2000(!) dual monitor-disappearing app windows

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-09-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with my Win2000 dual monitor setup. (Hey, it's at work! We have no choice of OS.)

I'm using the standard issue laptop connected to an lcd monitor. Instead of having it closed in a dock, I have it open and use both screens. I have the dual-monitor setup running fine, mostly. Screens are positioned so things can be dragged across smoothly, same res on both monitors (which avoids several problems), etc.

However, the Windows picture and fax viewer only appears on-screen if it is maximized. I can shrink it to the taskbar, but if I switch to normal/adjustable window size, it disappears. I have changed the res on both monitors (temporarily) which usually forces off-screen windows back into the visible desktop, but this has no effect.

Today, the same issue started with Outlook. I can only view it when maximized (it fills up only the laptop screen). Normal window size makes it disappear. It can be minimized to the taskbar.

Can anyone tell me how to recover the Outlook window to make it resizable and draggable?
Old 10-09-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

do you have both monitors set at the same resolution?
Old 10-09-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
do you have both monitors set at the same resolution?
Yup. I did have more glitches when they were initially set at different res'ns, a long time ago.

Could it be some sort of corrupted window definition file or something?
Old 10-09-07, 12:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I never could get a decent, consistently-working dual-monitor setup in Win2000. That's why I switched my HTPC to WinXP and I never had a problem since.
Old 10-09-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alas, not a choice here (and not 'officially supported' either!). And it generally works fine, except for these 2 apps which require maximizing to make their window visible.
Old 10-09-07, 01:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand that. I was just saying that you may have to live with the weirdness due to the OS.

Anyway, don't you have like 8 advanced degrees? Who the hell is telling you what OS you can run?

You could try a repair reinstall of Outlook. I don't know if that will help though.
Old 10-09-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have me confused with matta. (Although he has way more than 8 at last count!) And this is a law firm. IT rules with an iron fist (notto mention the hordes of incompatibilities of the various custom sw packages if we tried to install a new OS!)

I'm trying to fix this because it just started acting this way with Outlook. (The Windows fax viewer app was not important.) I was hoping there might be a known glitch or quirk that could be fixed.

At home I'm in command, and I'm running XP there.