Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the best antivirus protection for a new notebook with Vista Premium?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-08-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I missed this in another thread, I tried looking in the Vista thread but couldn't find it.

My new notebook is arriving tomorrow and I've never used Vista before. I hear it's quite a PITA with certain programs and applications. I usually just go with Norton for the antivirus protection but read a few posts that it had some problems with Vista Premium. Any other recommendations for reasonably priced antivirus software or is Norton a good option?

Also, are there any other programs that are notoriously bad with Vista? This is going to be used mainly as a work computer, nothing too fancy or ridiculous running on it.
Old 10-08-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Norton AV came with my computer and I haven't had any Vista related issues with it. I wanted to use one of the free AV programs, but I'm comfortable with Norton and don't mind paying the money.

My friend got a laptop with Vista Premium and he recommended AVG:AVG
Old 10-09-07, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Norton AV came with my computer and I haven't had any Vista related issues with it. I wanted to use one of the free AV programs, but I'm comfortable with Norton and don't mind paying the money.

My friend got a laptop with Vista Premium and he recommended AVG:AVG

Just don't let the sub run out. Norton sometimes starts blocking the whole internet if the subscription is lapsed
Old 10-09-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use NOD32 from ESET. It's much lighter on resources, plus faster and catches more malware than Norton or just about anything else.

At retail it's cheaper than Norton, both are $40 for the first year but Norton charges another $40 for a 1 year renewal where as you can get a 2 year NOD32 renewal for the same money. However, it's pretty easy to find Norton on the cheap, especially if you don't mind rebates.

NOD32 has a 30 day trail if you want to give it a try, and unlike Norton it will uninstall without hosing your system.
Old 10-09-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i use symantec anti-virus
Old 10-09-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
NOD32 has a 30 day trail if you want to give it a try, and unlike Norton it will uninstall without hosing your system.
How does Norton hose your system if it's uninstalled? Just curious, haven't heard that before.