Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Moral issue: Internet theft?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-07-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just got a 360 & Halo 3. He has a wireless laptop, and bought the wireless card for the 360. He lives in an apartment building & uses someone's internet connection, he's not sure who's. Is this illegal? It sounds like it is, but at the same time, he just hits the IE button & there he is. He didn't actually DO anything illegal.

I wouldn't rat him out or anything, and I'm not condoning/condemning him, I'm just curious.

Opinions?

Thanks,

~S2K
Old 10-07-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe it is technically illegal, but it is also 2007 and people should know how to secure their router if the don't want other people using it.
Old 10-07-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yes it's illegal, but everyone does it

like speeding
Old 10-07-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can't blame him....it is illegal, but it's not really hurting anyone...secure your router, people!!
Old 10-07-07, 08:03 PM
Political Exile

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is he going to do for internet when they finally figure out how to secure their connection?
Old 10-07-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's illegal but like everyone says, unless you use a router, pretty much it's fair game.
Old 10-07-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just hope the WAP isn't capturing sensitive data from your friend's connection to it.
Old 10-08-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Illegal and cheap? Yes. But so long as he isn't hogging their bandwidth or doing anything that could get the host in trouble, I don't have a problem with it. They should encrypt their connection if they don't want third-parties using it.
Old 10-08-07, 03:33 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think this is really a moral issue.
Unless ... you think anything illegal is automatically immoral.
Old 10-08-07, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys. I just never heard of being able to 'steal' a connection before. I see people saying 'secure your connection'...how do you do that? I don't want anyone stealing my signal.
Old 10-08-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
What is he going to do for internet when they finally figure out how to secure their connection?

there is always someone else
Old 10-08-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stealing is stealing, what does the internet have to do with it?
Old 10-08-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was in grad school, I lived in a building with 8 people. I didn't really have the extra $50 for HS, so I found a guy in my building who had HS and offered him $15/mo. for access to his wireless network. He gladly agreed (and asked why I didn't just "steal" it from him w/o paying). My response was that 1) it's illegal and 2) now we can secure your network and no one can steal data from either of us.
Old 10-08-07, 05:05 PM

It is possible that the legitimate owner of the connection is sharing it willingly and knowingly. Being a cool neighbor. Totally legal. Right?

Last edited by jonnyquest; 10-08-07 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've heard of stories where pedophiles drive around neighborhoods looking for unprotected networks, then park their car at the curb and use their laptop. All the sites they go to then end up looking like they were accessed by the poor guy who forgot to protect his router.

This would be one of the biggest reasons why I want to secure my network!
Old 10-08-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Thanks guys. I just never heard of being able to 'steal' a connection before. I see people saying 'secure your connection'...how do you do that? I don't want anyone stealing my signal.
I'd also like to know if my connection is secure. What exactly do you need to make it safe?
Old 10-08-07, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
I'd also like to know if my connection is secure. What exactly do you need to make it safe?
You need to do exactly two things:

1. Enable WPA or (preferably) WPA2.
2. Pick a password containing 15 or so random letters and numbers.

Anything less can be cracked, and anything more is overkill for a household.
Old 10-08-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, if I enable WPA, will that screw up my 360, which is wired, and my Wii & PS3, which are both wifi?

Also, how far is my wireless router sending a signal to? I live in a house, not an apartment building. Could my neighbor swipe my signal? The distance is probably 40 ft..
Old 10-08-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know the Wii supports WPA encryption. I'm sure the PS3 does, as well. WPA2 is preferable over WPA but not everything supports WPA2. Some older products (and some newer ones, like the Nintendo DS) only support WEP, which is now considered a nuisance instead of a real security measure.

For WPA/WPA2, you should be given the option of what KIND of WPA and encryption. The best choice is WPA2 Personal Mixed (Backwards compatible with WPA) and TKIP-AES encryption. This will give you the most flexibility with various clients.

40' is well within range a most WiFi routers. Easiest way to see how far your signal is going is take your laptop and see how far away you can go before you lose it. My parents have a 4000' sq ft house and one router covers the entire lot. I can get strong signals from their neighbors' houses, too, which are similar size.
Old 10-08-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and set up MAC filtering

it's not 100% effective, but it will keep out 99% of people

WPA is usually only for the wireless part of the router. i have both and never had to set up my wired PC to work with my router even though it had wireless security on it. reason is that cat5 cable is already secure
Old 10-08-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, after you go to all that trouble, if you forget your way long password or something corrupts your router (think Linksys) all you have to do if stick a pen point in the reset button for 10 seconds then log in as an admin. (admin being the default password).

How do I know that? Something corrupted mine, it would not recognize my password and it took six freaking calls to Linksys before a very nice intelligent girl said Oh, you have to update your firmware. Did so and all is well.

Why could rep one through five not figure that out? Maybe those indians with their scripts would have been a plus!!

Just ranting as I hate to lose an entire morning with wireless problems.

P.S.
Originally Posted by Patman
Just hope the WAP isn't capturing sensitive data from your friend's connection to it.
How would that work?
Old 10-08-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
He lives in an apartment building & uses someone's internet connection, he's not sure who's. Is this illegal?
Make no mistake, stealing someone else's internet connection, even if they publicly announce that it's free for anyone to use, is illegal, and you will be NAILED!

<embed FlashVars='videoId=104580' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

http:///www.comedycentral.com/mother...l_video=104580
Old 10-09-07, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
...stealing someone else's internet connection, even if they publicly announce that it's free for anyone to use, is illegal...
Please explain. Who in that scenario is a lawbreaker? Is it illegal for "the giver" to share the signal? Is it illegal for "the taker" to take advantage of the offer?
Old 10-09-07, 02:21 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnyquest
Please explain. Who in that scenario is a lawbreaker? Is it illegal for "the giver" to share the signal? Is it illegal for "the taker" to take advantage of the offer?
I believe that the "giver" really doesn't have permission from the internet provider to share that connection.

We had a thread on this subject a while ago...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=370192
Old 10-09-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
and set up MAC filtering

it's not 100% effective, but it will keep out 99% of people

WPA is usually only for the wireless part of the router. i have both and never had to set up my wired PC to work with my router even though it had wireless security on it. reason is that cat5 cable is already secure
I dont have wireless only wired. Is there anything I need to install for a wired router? SBC tells me that my router is secure enough but i dont thing they're that tech savy to know for sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.