Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

XP reinstall question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

XP reinstall question.

Old 10-07-07, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XP reinstall question.

Hi all. I am trying to reinstall XP with the recovery disk the computer company provided. If I boot to the cd, I keep getting an error saying that it can't find a hard disk and can't proceed. I checked the bios and the hard drive shows up in there and it shows up on the boot-up screen. There are two serial ATA drives. Would updating the bios help? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-07, 12:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You may need a special disk driver for the install routine to find your drives. When setup starts it gives you the option of hitting F6 to load the disk driver from a floppy.

So look for a driver for your SATA chipset. It seems strange that a commercially-made computer would give you that problem though.
Old 10-08-07, 03:16 PM

in the bios there may be a place that talks about sata and legacy or disable or enble. Basicly you need to run the sata drive like it was oldschool. It is usualy called legacy mode or turning off sata something. I know lenovo has this option.
once that is done, xp sees the drives like normal. once you have xp up and running you download the driver for the sata, install under xp and then go into bios and swap it back to on or whatever.
Old 10-08-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you will need to hit F6 as soon as the installation begins, wait a few minutes, and then you will be prompted to enter a floppy disk which contains the required SATA drivers to continue installation on a SATA hard drive.

If you do not have a floppy drive, you will have to create a special install CD using NLite. Here's an excellent article that provides more information:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Insta...F6-47807.shtml
Old 10-09-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by a123slonky
Hi all. I am trying to reinstall XP with the recovery disk the computer company provided. If I boot to the cd, I keep getting an error saying that it can't find a hard disk and can't proceed. I checked the bios and the hard drive shows up in there and it shows up on the boot-up screen. There are two serial ATA drives. Would updating the bios help? Any help is greatly appreciated.
what brand of computer is this?... and what model...

having to add an extra driver to a proprietary OS restore CD for that specific system is odd... as X pointed out... unless that floppy was provided or something... it's still is odd even then...

having to make BIOS changes on a proprietary setup is odd...

are you you sure this is the correct CD?...

also some PC companies, Micron anyone?, get all nazi about it and do hardware checks and won't install on any other than the default config for that system... has the second drive been added after purchase?...

if you give me make and model i'll find out more...
Old 10-10-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a notebook from Hypersonic with SATA hard drives and ran into the same problem when I tried to reinstall Windows. (No floppy drive on a notebook obviously.) It's reasons like this which is why I prefer to just build my computers whenever possible.
Old 10-10-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by a123slonky

do you have hardware RAID?
Old 10-10-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

having to add an extra driver to a proprietary OS restore CD for that specific system is odd... as X pointed out... unless that floppy was provided or something... it's still is odd even then...

also some PC companies, Micron anyone?, get all nazi about it and do hardware checks and won't install on any other than the default config for that system... has the second drive been added after purchase?...

It is an old pc from Cyberpower. Is at least six years old. Age was the reason I wondered about updating the BIOS; isn't that around when SATA drives came out? I do have the SATA driver disk that came with the system and ran it after the F6 prompt, but still doesn't see the drive. Haven't had time to try anything else with it yet, but will this weekend. Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-10-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm not mistaken SATA didn't start showing up at the earliest, 2003-2004.
Old 10-10-07, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

It is the correct cd and the second drive was added after the purchase.