Reload this Page >

Strange Network Problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Strange Network Problem

Old 10-05-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Network Problem

Hopefully some of you network guys can give me an idea of what might cause/fix this problem.

My mom called me this evening complaining that her internet wasn't working and asking for help. Unfortunately she lives 200 miles away so I can't just go over and troubleshoot myself. She told me that her internet was down because when she tried to use the bookmark to her e-mail account in IE she got a Page could not be loaded message. My mom's computer is connected through a wired router to the cable modem. My sister is connected wirelessly to the router and wasn't having any problems browsing.

I had my mom reboot and that didn't fix the problem. I had her go to www.yahoo.com and she said that loaded fine. She then attempted to click on the sign in button and immediately got the Page could not be loaded. I thought maybe it was using a cached yahoo page, so I had her load ESPN and she got the current top story, so her internet connection is working. I then had her put my sister on the phone. She said she was able to connect to yahoo, myspace, facebook, etc, all fine, but as soon as she tried to login to any of those sites she got the same error. My sister can load and login to all of those sites on her laptop with no problems. It almost sounds like something is blocking IE, but I don't know what it could be.

They have a Norton "Net Nanny" type of thing that doesn't let you connect to certain sites, but it gives you a completely different error message when it blocks (I should know as DVDTalk trips it up). My mom said she hadn't installed any new programs or updates in the past few days either.

Any ideas, clues? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any help you can give. I have a fairly good understanding of network probs/issues but this seems pretty unfamiliar to me.
Old 10-06-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess no one has any ideas
Old 10-07-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sounds like she is having a problem accessing secure websites. there are multiple fixes out there including reregistering dlls and such. Make sure the ssl encryptions is turned on in tools/internet options/advanced near the botfom. If that doesn't work try uninstalling IE7 to go back to IE6 if she has installed the update. I find that this usually fixes the issue. So this does not seem like a network issue at all. Seems like a "Crappy IE has broken again" issue. Try firefox, it should work if it's a secure site issue.

Last edited by glassdragon; 10-07-07 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-07-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
Any ideas, clues? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any help you can give. I have a fairly good understanding of network probs/issues but this seems pretty unfamiliar to me.
yes it sounds quite familiar...

you did not mention the OS she is running...
Old 10-07-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
yes it sounds quite familiar...

you did not mention the OS she is running...
She's running XP SP2 and she's been using IE7 for the past 10 months or so.
Old 10-07-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok...

i recommend uninstalling software firewalls when testing... and first before moving forward... but if your mom's norton came with the computer it can be a hassle to re-install that application... if that's the case just disable it... if she has a separate, purchased norton CD that she could re-install with easily, then have her uninstall the norton... just to be SURE it's not playing a role... i don't think it is norton in this case but it's a good idea to be thorough...

next run a complete IE and windows repair on her system...

start>run>(clear out any text in the dialog box)type in 'cmd'(no quotes) and click ok...

this opens DOS, (oh i'm sorry the highly sophisticated 'command line' ) sorry...

type... 'sfc /scannow' (no quotes) and let it run... if there is OS and browser corruption this command can take 20-40 minutes to run... if it prompts "in order for windows to run correctly files must be copied to the DLL cache, please insert microsoft windows XP CD" she has serious corruption in the OS, that has also corrupted the .cab files... and her 'system restore CD' may not work as a suitable file source for repair... in short she has larger problems than just surfing the web... if the command completes itself then it was able to repair from .cab files and you are ready to continue...

reboot...

start>run>type 'cmd'(no quotes)>ok

command line...

type in... 'netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt' (no quotes) and hit enter key... this command gives no feedback at all... if anything comes up she typed the command incorrectly... type it again... if the cursor simply moves to a new line she got it right... this command resets the protocol...

on the new line type 'netsh winsock reset'(no quotes) this command when entered properly gives feedback like 'the windows socket manager catalogue has been successfully reset, please restart the system in order for the changes to take effect' (it's close to that been a while since i've seen the exact wording)... anything besides that feedback she typed it wrong do it again... this command resets the OS's management of network sockets...

reboot...

test the browsing...

report back...

we'll keep going if needed... i don't think we'll need to...
Old 10-08-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They problem turned out to be Nortan Internet Security related. I somehow got my mom to download a Norton Removal Tool and run it (doesn't sound difficult does it??) and after a reboot that fixed all her problems. Googling SSL problems helped me diagnose the problem.

She currently doesn't have any virus protection but I think I'm going to get her to install McAfee VirusScan instead. I hate all of Norton's bundled crap/features and if it's going to fail on upgrade and start causing these problems, it's not worth having.

I did have her run through some of your steps Mabuse before removing Norton, so at least what you typed up wasn't a total waste Thanks to you and glassdragon for responding.
Old 10-08-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
They problem turned out to be Nortan Internet Security related. I somehow got my mom to download a Norton Removal Tool and run it (doesn't sound difficult does it??) and after a reboot that fixed all her problems. Googling SSL problems helped me diagnose the problem.

She currently doesn't have any virus protection but I think I'm going to get her to install McAfee VirusScan instead. I hate all of Norton's bundled crap/features and if it's going to fail on upgrade and start causing these problems, it's not worth having.

I did have her run through some of your steps Mabuse before removing Norton, so at least what you typed up wasn't a total waste Thanks to you and glassdragon for responding.
yeah that's why i remove norton first... i didn't think anything more than those steps would be needed...

my personal favorite AV is Avira Antivir...

i strongly recommend it... it isn't bundled...

this one "personal edition premium" you have to be specific to get the right one... Link...