Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Uninstall a large program and it takes days for the space to show as available?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-05-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happens every now and again. I'll uninstall a fairly large program (few gigs) using its uninstaller on WinXP (SP2) and the space won't show up as available for a few days. Is there a way to make windows "take out the trash" immediately?

edited to add: I figured it out. Norton was "protecting" me by keeping things around after deletion, then they'd get deleted once a week. Thought I'd disabled all that :/.

Last edited by cartman; 10-06-07 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cartman
This happens every now and again. I'll uninstall a fairly large program (few gigs) using its uninstaller on WinXP (SP2) and the space won't show up as available for a few days. Is there a way to make windows "take out the trash" immediately?
It's the system restore in XP.

It should be something like: Right click the c drive -> properties -> disk cleanup -> more options -> cleanup restore points. You will not be able to go back to the previous state. You can limit the amount of space for system restore from the control panel.

Last edited by Kdogg; 10-05-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can right click on the trash can, go to properties, go to the drive and there is a check box to remove insted of going to recycle bin.
Old 10-05-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, but I already limit my restore point size to 200MB, and it's not that there are things in the recycle bin that I don't want to manually delete, it's things that windows deletes but doesn't free the space immediately. Some things that I do that will cause this to occur are:

1) Uninstall a large program (lets say Age of Empires 3) using the uninstaller. It'll uninstall it, but the space (4 gigs, about) won't be available for a few days.

2) "Move" (ctrl-x) a large file from an internal drive to an external drive. Lets say I move an 800MB file from C to D (D being the external). Windows moves it, but the space won't be freed for days. If I were to instead just copy the file from C to D, then delete the file from C, it'll show up in the recycle bin and I can empty it to free the space immediately.

3) Deleting a folder of significant size (lets say 2 gigs). It will give me the "this folder/file is too big for the recycle bin, do you want to permanently delete it?" box. I will click "yes" and the folder will be deleted, but I won't get the space back for a few days.

Hopefully the extra examples will help explain better what my problem is.