Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help picking Shure earphones

Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=330IB6PYOEQ5R

Shure E2c-n Sound Isolating Earphones

Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphone with Balanced Armature Driver

what is the difference?? I listen to mp3's when walking & mowing fields.. I don't need the high end stuff...

I'm leaning towards the Shure SE110 but I don't know.. thankz
Old 10-04-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the E2Cs....they are great. I need new foamy things (they have all sorts of foam/plastic/thingies to fit your ear).

-p
Old 10-04-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's a heck of a lot of cash for headphones. I would love the Bose over-the-ears ones that they use in apple stores, but I just can't see spending that kind of money for them... I guess if I rode public transportation or mass transit... or flew a lot - then it would be worth it.
Old 10-04-07, 05:39 PM

$100 or less is OK for these earphones. Look at other Shure's & Bose the next step up is $300.. now thats crazy
these $100 used to be $150+.
Old 10-04-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
How are the Vibe ones? Some at Amazon say they're better than the Shure. I can get those for $75 at Costco and I like the idea of being able to return them if/when they break.
Old 10-04-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had Shure E3c and E4c ear buds (the E4c's are my current), but I can't tell you much about the models you've listed. But maybe poke around over at www.earphonesolutions.com. They have lots of good info about different models, including user reviews.
Old 10-04-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I have some of these (I have WAY too many headphones lying around) and I generally like my Sony in-ear ones the best. If it is just walking and mowing, there are good alternatives for around $25.
Old 10-04-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recently got some super.fi 3 Studio's and they are working well. They take come getting used to, but they sound good and block out sound better than your average earbud.
Old 10-04-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a set of E3c's and love them. Not sure you can go wrong with any Shures so buy the best you can afford. As far as Bose, until they begin to make REAL audiophile type equipment I'd pass on them.
Old 10-04-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a set of E3G's (same as the E3C but black), and just got a pair of SE530's from eBay (way cheaper than buying new from a retail store!), and love both. I don't actually use the E3Gs since I got the 530's, which have much better bass, and just as good if not better mids and highs (somewhat, other phones are better at producing highs).
Old 10-04-07, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I have some of these (I have WAY too many headphones lying around) and I generally like my Sony in-ear ones the best. If it is just walking and mowing, there are good alternatives for around $25.
can you give me a name or call #'s to look 'em up??
Old 10-05-07, 12:07 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the E2c-n earphones and love them. They are compact and sound decent. I travel fairly frequently, and they do a great job isolating plane noise, better than over-the-ears headphones I have tried. I believe that the SE series is newer, but don't know what the difference is.

I second the recommendation made by Mr Salty above to check out earphonesolutions. Their prices and service are both great. They don't always show prices, but will respond very quickly when you ask.
Old 10-05-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have a set of Shure E2c and Sennheiser CX300. I think the Sennheiser have considerably better bass sound.
Old 10-05-07, 10:40 AM

I checked out earphonesolutions.com.
The review I looked at are just like everywhere else. They say they are good or great but they don't say if they are better than another. They did have a best section but it only covers high end.
In my hunting it seems if a web site sells product they don't trash any reviews. They do give good info but I need listings to compare.
Old 10-05-07, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ds6161
In my hunting it seems if a web site sells product they don't trash any reviews. They do give good info but I need listings to compare.
Amazon.com has user-submitted reviews; scroll further down the product's page to the "Customer Reviews" section. They vary in terms of quality and thoroughness (most folks aren't professional writers), but are an excellent way to get an idea of how the products perform in the real world. Believe me, the users are not shy about trashing a product if it deserves trashing, and will point out observed weaknesses and shortcomings.
Old 10-05-07, 02:56 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the Shure SE210 earphones. $149.99.

These noise isolating earphones sound a heckuva lot better than any of the "noice cancelling" headphones.
Old 10-05-07, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by namja
These noise isolating earphones sound a heckuva lot better than any of the "noice cancelling" headphones.
Sorta off-topic, but OP did mention using the phones while mowing. I have seen combination "hearing protectors+headphones" for sale in outdoor-equipment catalogs such as http://www.gemplers.com/safety/perso.../radioearmuffs
My question is about noise-cancelling phones. Do they provide hearing protection? What is the basic theory of noise-cancellation? Can noise-cancelling phones counteract the ear-damaging loudness of a mower engine or weedwhacker engine? Or is the only way to protect your ears to have an isolating cup which blocks out harmfully loud sounds?
Old 10-05-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ds6161,

I'd go with the Shure SE110. The SE110 has a better-balanced sound than the older E2c, which tends to be bass-shy.

I myself got the higher-end SE310 (about US$195 from a good eBay reseller). Now THAT is a great in-ear monitor (IEM) headphone with very clear sound all the way around and excellent noise isolation--it better be given how much I paid for it!
Old 10-06-07, 12:13 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this forum for more info: http://www.head-fi.org/

Search for SE110, and you will find lots of posts on these earphones.
Old 10-06-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ds6161
I checked out earphonesolutions.com.
The review I looked at are just like everywhere else.
Well, you clearly didn't look at the user reviews like I suggested. You'll find plenty of negative reviews there.

You also might want to check out the forum area for earphones at www.ilounge.com.