Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Sharing directories on internal network?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-04-07, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a very basic networking question here. We use about 20 computers, each person logs on to the computer using a local profile. We do not have domains, so we are using workgroups. All computers are in the same workgroup.

On our file server, I would like to share out a directory that everybody can browse to (or map network drives), without having to provide a userID and password to access that directory. I basically want the users to have access to that directory with the least possible steps.

How do I do that? I don't want to start creating the 20 users locally on the file server (this would do the trick, but when a user changes his password, then I manually have to go to the file server and change her pw there as well).

I have give access rights on that directory to "everyone", but still when I connect to the file server, it still asks me for a userID and a password.

Help?
Old 10-05-07, 11:47 AM

Bump.

Is there nobody who can help with this? Does anybody know a link to a good internet forum that specifically handles windows file/directory security where I could post this question?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-07, 12:24 PM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Maybe you should look into getting a NAS that allows everyone access to the files on it.
Old 10-05-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
create a local account.. when they try to connect to the share and are prompted for username/password, have them put in machinename\username & password..
you wouldnt have to create invidivual ones, if you arent worried about security

but best bet is to at least have 1 account being used.. windows file sharing doesnt really like being as insecure as you are trying to make it.
Old 10-05-07, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
create a local account.. when they try to connect to the share and are prompted for username/password, have them put in machinename\username & password..
you wouldnt have to create invidivual ones, if you arent worried about security

but best bet is to at least have 1 account being used.. windows file sharing doesnt really like being as insecure as you are trying to make it.

That's what I do, and it works fine. However, my users have to enter the userIP and PW every time when they connect to the server, after they rebooted their workstation. I thought windows could remember userID and password with which they connect.

I have one computer that shares a directory exactly in the way that I described. It's a winXP pro, nothing special. This machine was brought in by an external company, so I didn't set it up myself. I have look at the sharing permissions, at the NTFS permissions etc, and I don't see anything that is different from how I set up shares on another machine. The machine installed by the other company shares out the directory without requiring anybody to provide even a userID and a pw. My machine still asks for it.

Frustrating. I wish I knew how I could do this myself.