Reload this Page >

The New Zunes...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The New Zunes...

Old 10-03-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The New Zunes...

... have been announced with a November release date, with 4, 8, and 80 GB models.

The new Zunes will come in 4-gigabyte, 8-gigabyte and 80-gigabyte models. All will come with a feature that allows a user to automatically sync media via a WiFi network from a PC to the Zune when its battery is charging.

Microsoft also aims to tap the social-networking phenomenon with Zune Social, a Web site for users to display music they like, share playlists and find friends with similar tastes.

The new devices, set to go on sale in mid-November, are equipped with a circular navigational pad that allows a user to both "flick" through options like on a touch screen or "click" through choices.

The 4-GB model will go on sale at $149, the 8-GB Zune will cost $199 and the 80-GB model will sell for $249. Those prices are the same as similar-sized iPods
Full article here:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...OSOFT-ZUNE.xml

I'm sure it won't appeal to Apple faithful, but i have the 30GB Zune and think it's decent. It does what I need it to do, and i hate the click wheels on iPods. It looks like MS might be going that route with new controls though. The Zune software kind of sucks, but since I never cared for iTunes it comparably isn't as bad for my own uses. I'm sure software will still be the major issue for most here though.
Old 10-03-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too have a 30GB Zune, which I originally bought as a video-only player to complement my 60GB iPod photo. It worked great as a video player. I've since upgraded to the iPod classic 160GB.

I was holding out for the iPod touch, but the small hard drive space is leaving me out until they put ones out with a (much) bigger drive.

I was going to trade or sell the Zune, but with the new firmware working on the old models I might just have to give it a try. It was a great machine for what I needed it for, and I got it for a great price at the time ($120 about a year ago).
Old 10-03-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i really wish Apple would consider built in FM tuners like these...
Old 10-03-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I never understood why the first Zune wouldn't work with WMP to transfer songs. Hopefully these will.
Old 10-03-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They look...sturdy?

The large one actually looks like it has a good sized screen and that it can produce a bright crisp picture.

As much as I want an iPhone (already have a 30gb iPod), I'm still irked that not any one manufacturer has managed to get a device that does everything. The Nokia N95 seems close, but then it certainly looses out on asthetics and form factor. I can't speak to it's UI though.

My co-worker recently bought a Cowan MP3 player, so I decided to check out their website after playing with his player. I must say, if their larger music/video devices are anything like his smaller device, I would be interested in trying one out. It's more button and d-pad oriented than click-wheel. What did Zune 1 use?
Old 10-03-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
i really wish Apple would consider built in FM tuners like these...
I really wish they wouldn't.
Old 10-03-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superman07
T

My co-worker recently bought a Cowan MP3 player, so I decided to check out their website after playing with his player. I must say, if their larger music/video devices are anything like his smaller device, I would be interested in trying one out. It's more button and d-pad oriented than click-wheel. What did Zune 1 use?
The current Zune has a large circle button as an "action" button and a smaller outer circle that is used essentially like a D-Pad, with up/down/left/right functionality to cycle through menus, increase/decrease volume, and skip or go back on songs.
Old 10-03-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the much bigger news than the hardware revisions is the services/software changes MS is making with the Zune. First, the no brainer of wireless syncing, but they also expanded syncing to include podcasts subscription support and an update to Media Center will allow Media Center recorded TV content to be uploaded to the Zune. They also removed the 3 day time limit on shared tracks (now it's just 3 plays) and allow them to be re-shared to other users. Plus they added DRM free tracks to Marketplace, but with no mention of pricing.

The new touch pad sounds interesting, but that's something you have to get your hands on to see how well it works. It could be slick or clumsy depending on how well they implement it.
Old 10-04-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One thing I really hope Microsoft does is revamp the interface software for the Zune so it becomes much easier to use. The poorly-implemented software really hampered acceptance of this player, in my humble opinion.
Old 10-04-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like what they are doing with the Zune. I also like the fact they are updating the first gen models through firmware. Podcast support adds the thing I felt a must and wireless syncing is awesome.

I'm not ready to dump my 5.5 Gen iPod just yet, but when I do I'm probably going to get a Zune. The new iPods don't interest me and I'm ready to move to something different.
Old 10-04-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm not ready to dump my 5.5 Gen iPod just yet, but when I do I'm probably going to get a Zune. The new iPods don't interest me and I'm ready to move to something different.

I feel the same. I don't need a new one for awhile, but nothing about the new ipods excite me. I will probably wait and see if they do soemthing better with the next ones, then decide.
Old 10-05-07, 03:38 AM
Banned

i have a 30g one right now, with a replacement plan at best buy.
how could i use that plan to get rid of this one and get one of the new models?
Old 11-18-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know there aren't many Zune owners, but anyone check out the new software and firmware? I just updated on my original Zune and its re-syncing since i just upgraded my system to Vista 64, but I kind of dig the new Zune software. It's a bit flowery, but the interface is pretty slick.
Old 11-18-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new firmware looks great on the Zune 30 devices. VERY nice. Unfortunately, the new desktop software has removed so much functionality that it makes it difficult to use the software to manage my music library. And if you use the new firmware you HAVE to use the new software... so I ended up downgrading to the previous firmware and now spend quite a bit of time helping others get back too.

...at least until MS updates the software to fix the issues. The Zune 30 (with old or new firmware) is awesome.
Old 11-19-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the new Firmware all around, the software also. It's a lot better than the previous, but I am alittle confused on using the new software. Where can I delete what is on my device (music). I see my library on the PC - but not what music is on the device. Sure I am missing something obvious.

Once the new Zune's are more common, I will most likely upgrade. Never thought I would, but I've been on a buying spree from Marketplace .
Old 11-19-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I love the new Firmware all around, the software also. It's a lot better than the previous, but I am alittle confused on using the new software. Where can I delete what is on my device (music). I see my library on the PC - but not what music is on the device. Sure I am missing something obvious.

Once the new Zune's are more common, I will most likely upgrade. Never thought I would, but I've been on a buying spree from Marketplace .
If you cannot find out how to manage the files on your device with the new software I suggest that you reconsider your "lot better than the previous" comment. It is a lot prettier that's for sure, but better?

At the top there is a menu, "collection device marketplace social".... attach your Zune and click on "device".
Old 11-19-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I like some of the updates, I HATE that I can no longer have the software create a random playlist that fills the Zune memory.

Now - if they'd just make it so that I can rotate the screen image for when my Zune is sitting horizontally on my desk.
Old 11-19-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I really wish they wouldn't.
Agreed. Apple's in the business of selling music, not helping Clear Channel's ratings.
Old 11-19-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jason
Agreed. Apple's in the business of selling music, not helping Clear Channel's ratings.
Which is great for Apple, but i'm not really sure why a consumer wouldn't want the addition of radio. I don't see how it would hurt you having it.