Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

USB Wifi Module without the use of external drivers or admin rights?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-02-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Here's the situation - my work laptop is very restricted - so restricted that they do not allow wireless to be enabled and thus have locked it via the bios. I do not have admin rights on the machine. I am able to plug in an ethernet cable into the laptop from a router to gain intranet access via vpn.

i am often in different locations where i cannot plug in a physical ethernet cable but do have wifi connections. Is there an external USB wifi module which you can buy which does not need admin rights to install drivers?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-02-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not sure is this is what you're looking for, but I I bought Verizon's external USB device. I had the issues you do: Limited access to work and forced to plug in an ethernet cable to get access to heavily filtered net.

The device cost $100 before a $50 MIR. I'm paying $60 a month for internet access with a two year contract. Took me seconds to install. I pretty much get internet access anywhere now. Well worth it, IMO. My apt.complex offers internet for a whopping $50 a month, and DVDTalk is blocked at my work.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 10-02-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks but i'm not looking to get to filtered sites (i dont' do much web browsing on my work laptop) rather just be able to get an internet connection to vpn into work. would rather have a wifi usb dongle than a cell phone type service which would result in a monthly fee. Thanks in advance
Old 10-02-07, 04:32 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you just need an access point or a repeater that can talk to a wireless router or other access point? Just like you'd use for a Wii.

Don't know if you'll find a USB one, but you could connect an ethernet cable to it.
Old 10-02-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

a wireless game adapter would work
i spent like $20 each on a couple for my replaytv and xbox and havent ever had any issues..

this is the one i have.. but you can get it much cheaper
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA11B.../dp/B0000AJVBW
Old 10-02-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guys, thanks but i think i may be not explaining the situation correctly. What i'm trying to do is access the internet on my laptop via a wireless wifi connection - don't what any extra routers/adaptors etc. Just simply adding another wireless nic onto the laptop, but i'm looking for a product suggestion which allows me to install the usb wifi module but does not need admin rights or additional drivers. thanks in advance
Old 10-02-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Guys, thanks but i think i may be not explaining the situation correctly. What i'm trying to do is access the internet on my laptop via a wireless wifi connection - don't what any extra routers/adaptors etc. Just simply adding another wireless nic onto the laptop, but i'm looking for a product suggestion which allows me to install the usb wifi module but does not need admin rights or additional drivers. thanks in advance
That's what they suggested. You need an external device (not necessarily USB) that connects to a wireless network and then the laptop plugs into, none the wiser.

You need a wireless access point or bridge that you can configure to hook onto any existing wireless network.

Having a non-usb solution works around all your driver concerns.
Old 10-02-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
That's what they suggested. You need an external device (not necessarily USB) that connects to a wireless network and then the laptop plugs into, none the wiser.

You need a wireless access point or bridge that you can configure to hook onto any existing wireless network.

Having a non-usb solution works around all your driver concerns.
thanks for the clarification. since i'm almost always mobile i'd rather not have that type of wireless access point or bridge to bring along with me

What i'm looking for is a USB wireless dongle which i can plug into the USB port of my laptop which will enable me to use Wifi. the only restriction is that USB wireless dongle does not need admin rights or extra drivers for installation. (like a USB memory stick)
Old 10-02-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the clarification. since i'm almost always mobile i'd rather not have that type of wireless access point or bridge to bring along with me

What i'm looking for is a USB wireless dongle which i can plug into the USB port of my laptop which will enable me to use Wifi. the only restriction is that USB wireless dongle does not need admin rights or extra drivers for installation. (like a USB memory stick)

Not going to happen. What's the difference if you have something hanging off your laptop connected to the USB port or something hanging off your laptop using the ethernet port? Anything USB besides a thumbdrive is going to need drivers to function. That's the nature of the beast.
Old 10-02-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Not going to happen. What's the difference if you have something hanging off your laptop connected to the USB port or something hanging off your laptop using the ethernet port? Anything USB besides a thumbdrive is going to need drivers to function. That's the nature of the beast.
But for example when i insert a USB flash drive it needs drivers however windows has the drivers built in - so i'm able to use the usb flash drive no problem. isn't there a product that does the same thing for a USB WIFI adaptor?
Old 10-02-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But for example when i insert a USB flash drive it needs drivers however windows has the drivers built in - so i'm able to use the usb flash drive no problem. isn't there a product that does the same thing for a USB WIFI adaptor?

Well I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

I found this from searching for "driverless USB wi fi adaptor" in google.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...iFi-Adapter/p1

Looks like it should do what you want. Now to find a US retailer that has it....
Old 10-02-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boosh!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162130

It says no driver CD required but YMMV. I haven't used it.

Last edited by Mopower; 10-02-07 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 07:14 PM

The Buffalo adapter still requires drivers; it's just that the drivers are included in flash memory embedded into the device itself. That's not going to help MitzEclipse in this case.
Old 10-02-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a while since I worked with adding hardware to a locked down machine, but I don't think you can do what you are asking for.

Even if the USB Wireless device you purchase has built in native wireless drivers, I still don't think you can install any new hardware without admin rights.

How much trouble would you risk getting in if you just cracked the admin password, installed the hardware you want to use and act like you have no idea what happened should you get caught?
Old 10-03-07, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
It's been a while since I worked with adding hardware to a locked down machine, but I don't think you can do what you are asking for.

Even if the USB Wireless device you purchase has built in native wireless drivers, I still don't think you can install any new hardware without admin rights.

How much trouble would you risk getting in if you just cracked the admin password, installed the hardware you want to use and act like you have no idea what happened should you get caught?
Thanks all for the continued suggestions. I might be able to get temp admin rights... but they get pulled after 10 mins. Will this affect the wifi usb adaptor if it's already been installed?

Also, what are your suggestions for a wifi usb module which is reliable, performs well, not so big (so doesn't protrude that much) and looks good?

Thanks
Old 10-03-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Thanks all for the continued suggestions. I might be able to get temp admin rights... but they get pulled after 10 mins. Will this affect the wifi usb adaptor if it's already been installed?

Also, what are your suggestions for a wifi usb module which is reliable, performs well, not so big (so doesn't protrude that much) and looks good?

Thanks
you wouldnt even need temp admin rights.. you would just need them to log in as admin, plug this up, let it load, and then log out..
once its been setup, you are good to go.. without admin rights...

btw.. in my experience, most locked down machines wont let you pop in a usb flash drive either, unless it was first connected as admin.. but i guess that depends on how tight its locked down, and whether they hooked a usb drive up to the original machine they used to make the image.
Old 10-03-07, 10:40 AM

Yeah in my experience, if there is ANY change in networking settings on a locked down pc, it requires you to be an admin to initiate those changes.

As mentioned above, you only have to be logged in as admin to install the device. After that, you should be able to insert/remove the USB device with no problems as a locked-down user.
Old 10-03-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks I'll try to get admin rights from an IT contact... but for what it's worth, i have no problems inserting in a USB flash drive
Old 10-04-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This wifi connection manager claims to not trigger vista's uac or require administrator privileges.

Not a device but could be a helpful program in your case.
http://www.mobilenetswitch.com