Reload this Page >

Trying to put together a HD editing PC

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-02-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to purchase a new computer for HD editing, and need opinions on the below specs. Anything I should add or remove or change?

Case: ADK - ADK Tower: 7 3.5" bay, 5 x 5.25 Bays up to 13 HDD's with hot swap bay.

Power Supply: Thermaltake - 550W EPS12V 16DB 8 sata

Motherboard: Daw Core/Penryn P35 chipset DDR2 1066, 3 PCI, 3PCIe. TI Firewire, 6 Sata DD

Processor: Intel - Intel Q6600 Quad Core, Boxed processor, 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8 MB Cache,

Memory: SuperTalent - DDR2-800 1G/128x64 CL4 Memory PC 6400.
Memory 2: SuperTalent - DDR2-800 1G/128x64 CL4 Memory PC 6400.

Hard Drive 1: SEAGATE - Seagate 80G ATA100/7200Rpm 2 meg ST 380215A
Hard Drive 2: SEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500630AS
Hard Drive 3: SEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500630AS

Video: XFX - XFX nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB 540MHz 2DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card

CD/CD-RW/DVD Panasonic - Panasonic Blu-ray SW-5582

Sound Card Onboard

NIC LinkSys - WIRELESS -G PCI CARD 54

Operating System Microsoft - WINDOWS XP Professional OEM full version w/manual and keycode.
Old 10-02-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

check out Vista Ultimate instead of XP or one of the Apple computers which have iLife or something
Old 10-02-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
check out Vista Ultimate instead of XP or one of the Apple computers which have iLife or something
My understanding is that most of the editing programs work better with XP.
Old 10-02-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Vista Ultimate has a shitload of bulk you do not want. XP SP2, baby. All the way.
Old 10-02-07, 11:53 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Never heard of the motherboard. A good motherboard can give you a substantial amount of overclocking ability which would really help. This certainly isn't anything you couldn't put together yourself.

You may want to consider a faster OS drive such as the WD Raptor and a RAID 0 configuration for work files (remembering that they're to be considered temporary in that configuration).

Isn't there a line of 1333 FSB quad core Intel chips out now?
Old 10-02-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

in Vista Ultimate there is an HD version of Moviemaker and DVDmaker. not sure how well they work compared to the XP versions

but Apple is probably the best in this area
Old 10-02-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
Never heard of the motherboard. A good motherboard can give you a substantial amount of overclocking ability which would really help. This certainly isn't anything you couldn't put together yourself.

You may want to consider a faster OS drive such as the WD Raptor and a RAID 0 configuration for work files (remembering that they're to be considered temporary in that configuration).

Isn't there a line of 1333 FSB quad core Intel chips out now?
Lost me on some of that stuff, but I can get a WD Raptor 740GD SATA 74G 10k for an extra $100, or a Raptor 150 for $182. Is it worth it for the additional cost?

And this is the site I am using to configure the PC.
Old 10-02-07, 12:29 PM
X
Administrator

I found the site while looking to see what that motherboard was. I still don't know what it is though.

For your OS you might consider the 74GB Raptor, but I didn't see it listed as an option. But it's really all a tradeoff of price vs performance. You don't need the Raptor unless you're trying to maximize performance at a moderately-high cost.

I would seriously consider getting a good motherboard and overclocking that quad core CPU. You can essentially turn it into a CPU that would have cost much, much more. That's where you'll get the biggest bang for your buck for your application. But you do have to somewhat know what you're doing.
Old 10-02-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
I found the site while looking to see what that motherboard was. I still don't know what it is though.

For your OS you might consider the 74GB Raptor, but I didn't see it listed as an option. But it's really all a tradeoff of price vs performance. You don't need the Raptor unless you're trying to maximize performance at a moderately-high cost.

I would seriously consider getting a good motherboard and overclocking that quad core CPU. You can essentially turn it into a CPU that would have cost much, much more. That's where you'll get the biggest bang for your buck for your application. But you do have to somewhat know what you're doing.
And I really don't know what I am doing... Would I be better off getting a faster processor? They also listed different motherboards to choose from - any of those look better?
Old 10-02-07, 12:51 PM
X
Administrator

Am I at the same site you're at? I don't see the 74 GB Raptor.

http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/v...m?recordid=108

The faster quad core CPUs are expensive! $300 or $800 for the next higher models. You certainly could overclock the 6600 to the $300 higher one, and probably even to the $800 highter one.

And I don't understanding why they're selling 1333 FSB CPUs with motherboards that only accomodate 1066 FSB. That's a red flag to me. They don't quote the FSB of the two upgrades, but not that many motherboards are capable of 1333MHz FSB yet.

What is your price range?
Old 10-02-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
Am I at the same site you're at? I don't see the 74 GB Raptor.

http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/v...m?recordid=108

The faster quad core CPUs are expensive! $300 or $800 for the next higher models. You certainly could overclock the 6600 to the $300 higher one, and probably even to the $800 highter one.

And I don't understanding why they're selling 1333 FSB CPUs with motherboards that only accomodate 1066 FSB. That's a red flag to me. They don't quote the FSB of the two upgrades, but not that many motherboards are capable of 1333MHz FSB yet.

What is your price range?
This is the site -
http://www.adkvideoediting.com/syste...fm?recordid=90

I wanted to stay in the 3 - 4k range
Old 10-02-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are the new specs - let me know if this look better. Also, should I upgrade the sound card?

Case: ADK - ADK Tower: 7 3.5" bay, 5 x 5.25 Bays up to 13 HDD's with hot swap bay.

Power Supply: Thermaltake - 550W EPS12V 16DB 8 sata

Motherboard: Asus - P5W64 WS Professional : Intel Core"2 Extreme / Core"2 Duo Ready Quad-cor

Processor: Intel - Intel Q6600 Quad Core, Boxed processor, 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8 MB Cache,

CPU Cooling: Coolermaster - Coolermaster Mars - RR-CCX-W9U1-GP

Case Cooling: ADK - ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB

Memory SuperTalent - DDR2-800 1G/128x64 CL4 Memory PC 6400.

Memory 2 SuperTalent - DDR2-800 1G/128x64 CL4 Memory PC 6400.

OS/Programs Drive: Western Digital - RAPTOR 740GD SATA 74G 10K

Capture/work Drive: SEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500630AS

Render to Drive: SEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500630AS

Controller None

Dual/Quad Head Video: XFX - XFX nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB 540MHz 2DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card

DVD-RW Panasonic - Panasonic Blu-ray SW-5582

CD-RW/DVD 2 None

Sound Card: Onboard

NIC LinkSys - WIRELESS -G PCI CARD 54

Operating System Microsoft - WINDOWS XP Professional OEM full version w/manual and keycode.
Old 10-02-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have you researched the numbers on SATA II speeds versus buying a SATA 10K HDD? Just checkin'.
Old 10-02-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Have you researched the numbers on SATA II speeds versus buying a SATA 10K HDD? Just checkin'.
No I haven't - In fact, I don't even know what that means... This is basically why I am not building my own PC.
Old 10-03-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh.
Old 10-03-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not go with a Mac? Final Cut Pro is quickly becoming an industry standard, Mac's are much much more stable for those long hours of editing. Last thing you want is to be putting the finishing touches on your film and have the machine crash while rendering.
Old 10-03-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

x2 (or 3 or 4 or whatver), for getting a Mac. Especially if the majority of what you plan to do is editing. Like CK said, FCP is becoming more common... several major motion pictures were edited with FCP.

I am planning on a MacBook Pro in January after MacWorld (unless they come out with new models before then), and Final Cut Express. I want to start taking underwater video while diving (my other $$$$ hobby).
Old 10-03-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Biggest reason for not getting a Mac is because I have never used one, and not familiar with any of the software. Last time I used an Apple was in the early 80's.

What makes a Mac so much better than a PC?
Old 10-03-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll triple the getting a Mac comments, especially for any type of video editing. Do you have much experience with video editing programs? If not, starting with iMovie and working your way up to Final Cut Pro is the way to go.

I'm not even sure what (outside of Avid) people are using on PC for video editing? Vegas or Premiere?
Old 10-03-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have done video editing (home movies) on a PC for a few years using Pinnacle. My current PC is very basic, and even working with standard video is a slow process. Moving to HD is the reason I need a new PC, however this will also be used for other applications and will be my main PC.

I am not against buying a Mac, though I admit I am a little anti-apple. Most of my concerns about getting a Mac is because I have very little experience with them. Can you use applications like photoshop, or if so, do I need a Mac version or can I use my PC version?
Old 10-03-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You would have to get the Mac version, but it's very worth it. Software like Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop were practically built from the ground up with Mac's in mind. As for the ease of use, the learning curve is minimal, and in-fact, some ways it is easier. It's a lot sexier-looking than XP or Vista as well.

What makes Mac's better? It really depends on what you're using it for... PCs are great for general stuff like email and surfing the internet and playing games. Macs are productivity powerhouses. For any sort of editing: video, photo, and audio, the most robust software packages in the industry (Final Cut Studio 2, Photoshop CS3, and Pro Tools respectively), Macs are the way to go. They are stable, fast and reliable.
Old 10-03-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Another Apple chime-in.

The editing facilities at the place I work are all Final Cut Pro systems. It's quickly becoming an industry standard.

I do all of my "home editing" on a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro - it's speedy as hell.

The other nice thing about the Mac is that you can start capturing and editing video as soon as you get it home from the store. iMovie and the rest of the iLife suite are very robust and are included with every Mac.

As for your PC software, you can also buy a copy of XP with SP2, download Bootcamp, and easily dual-boot your Mac into whatever OS you needed at the time.

I finally decided to make the switch when I tried 5 different programs to burn a DVD on the PC and not one managed to do it. In fact, one rendered 2 hours worth of video for 15 hours and then crashed. I bought a Mac Mini, dropped the two files into iDVD, and a little over 2 hours later I had a finished DVD that worked great. That right there sold me more than anything.

EDIT: Slapped this MacPro together on the Apple Store - this thing would be a beast, but you could downgrade a few things to get the price a bit lower and it would still blow a comparable PC out of the water when it came to video editing. Plus you could always buy your own RAM and HDs and install those yourself:

Summary

Subtotal $4,921.00

Specifications

Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (4 x 1GB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
One 16x SuperDrive
Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English
iWork '08 preinstalled

Last edited by Draven; 10-03-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Put together a system - not quite as expensive as the one you did.

Mac Pro
AirPort Extreme card (Wi-fi)
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
One 16x SuperDrive
Accessory kit
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (4 x 512MB)
Mac OS X - U.S. English
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

Would this system meet my HD editing needs?

This came to $3554.00. I also want to get a Blu ray burner, but didn't see it as an option - any idea why? Could I just purchase one separately and install it?

Also, what software would I need. I appears that Final Cut Studio would certainly do the job for HD editing, but not sure if it might be too much. I want something that is easy to use, and not a huge learning curve.

Also, do I need a separate program to burn to Blu ray, such as Toast?

Last edited by cpgator; 10-03-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just called Apple to discuss building a system, and they rep kept pointing me to a iMac. To me, it seems more like a system I would buy my kid - not something I could use for HD editing. Not even sure if I could add a BD drive to something like that.

Is the iMac something I should look at, or should I go for something more powerful? The rep said that since this was just for home videos and such, the iMac was all I needed.

Just talked to Apple again - they said that no Mac comes with a BD drive, and you can not add one - except an external drive. What good is a HD editing system if you can't even burn your video to a HD disc?

Last edited by cpgator; 10-03-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, that's kind of true - the iMac is also a capable machine.

iMovie is the movie editing program that comes with Mac computers and can handle HD content (though I've never actually tried it.) They just released iLife '08 which I haven't had a chance to purchase yet - apparently they "nerfed" iMovie in an attempt to make it more like a photo organizing tool than a serious video editing tool. Which, frankly, it was never really meant to be. But people who didn't want to pony up for FCP Express or FCP Studio got upset that they removed some of the functionality of iMovie.

You'll need to do your own research, but as I understand it, if all you are planning on doing is taking HD content and editing it together, iMovie should be fine. Just don't plan on pushing out a major motion picture with the software.

I've always used the full version of Final Cut Pro (In addition to my day job, I do freelance editing work as well) but I've heard that Final Cut Express is a very capable program too.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

And it's $239 through Amazon right now, so that's not a bad deal at all.

I know absolutely nothing about Blu-Ray burning, as that tech is still too new and flaky for us to commit to at my company and I have zero usage for it at home. But if they sell a standablone Blu-Ray burner, I'd imagine that the Mac could recognize it and a program like Toast could probably burn it. But again, you'll need to look into that yourself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.