Reload this Page >

Vista Wireless Problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Vista Wireless Problems

Old 09-29-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vista Wireless Problems

I'm helping my sister and mom out by setting up a wireless network in the house. The main PC running XP, works great. My mother's computer running XP connects wirelessly with no problem. My sister's new Dell laptop running Vista, is a frustrating piece of shit. I cannot get it to connect wirelessly. Well it does connect, but then it says either not connected to the internet, or local only. And this is through both wired and wireless. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I did a bunch of Google searches, but nothing seems to be working, and many people are saying it's simply a crapshoot, and it may not work.

I was thinking the best option if no one can help me with that is to simply install XP on her laptop. Can I use an upgrade CD, or do I have to buy the full package? What is the cheapest way to get a full package with a working key? Please someone help me. I am about to shatter this laptop.
Old 09-29-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid question, but are both computers on the same workgroup?

I am asking because I had the same problem when i added Vista to my network. In my case my new laptop would find the old laptop, but not my desktop.
Old 09-29-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do I check that?
Old 09-29-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like they are on the same workgroup. They both are on WORKGROUP as far as I can tell.
Old 09-29-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm able to hook up my Vista onto Internet wireless, rest of house computers are XPs. But I haven't tried networking it.

Maybe your sister's laptop's wireless card is not Vista compatible? I had to buy a new wireless adapter for my PC because the old one is not Vista compatible and it cannot get wireless working very well.
Old 09-30-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I would hope it would be Vista compatible since it came preinstalled with Vista on her laptop.
Old 10-02-07, 05:52 PM

Have you tried updating drivers/firmware for either or both products? I did it with my router and it's working a little better than before. That was when I got my 'Centrino' laptop and it was doing screwy things like dropping my connection and timing out whenever it feels.
Old 10-02-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, did all of the above. I told her to go buy XP, and next time ask me before she buys a laptop what to get.
Old 10-02-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there is some tcp/ip bug with vista that has something do to with it's IPv6 capabilities. forgot the details, but it could be a cause
Old 10-02-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I disabled the IPv6 option, but to no avail.
Old 10-02-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the Vista laptop getting an IP address from the router? I'm assuming everything is connected through some kind of router (or dsl/router hybrid). If so, are you able to ping to/from the laptop? One thing to try is setting the workgroup name to a different one (anything besides the default name and without spaces)
Old 10-03-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i use a cable when i have wireless problems. just because another PC can connect doesn't mean anything. there are a ton of people using this stuff these days and every computer can have a slightly different antenna configuration. you can literally be in the same room as your WAP and depending on where you stand the signal will be different

if you want reliability than you use Cat5
Old 10-03-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful about installing XP on the laptop. I would recommend a dual boot in this case, as most laptop manufacturers do not provide XP supported drivers for their Vista powered laptops. I would check the Dell website to see if her laptop is one of the few they still sell with XP installed (I think there are only 3 models).

I have an XP (2 desktops- 1 wired, 1 wireless) and Vista (HP laptop-wireless) configuration on my home network with no problems.
Old 10-04-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check at http://forum.notebookreview.com/ to see if anyone has installed XP on your machine. Even my M1330 with Vista only as an option was able to handle XP with all the drivers that they tracked down...
Old 10-04-07, 04:34 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649

New Vista patch that apparently improves the stability of wireless networks. Worth a shot.