Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to display .mkv & other HD files on my plasma?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-29-07, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my computer in the same room as a big plasma screen but on different outlets wich is causing a terrible grounding problem when i try to connect them both with either vga or dvi + audio.The ground loop is affecting both audio & video with strong humming and all kinds of color,brightness and gamma problems.I can not put the computer on the same outlet as the tv.So what other options are available?I have .mkv,.avi and wmv in 720p & 1080p resolutions that i would like to display on the plasma.Is there some sort of wireless solution?I've read about Apple Tv but if i understand correctly it will not do 1080p and there is no .mkv hack.
Old 09-29-07, 07:28 AM

A 360 would work for some files and you could transcode the rest.
Old 09-29-07, 05:27 PM

As i understand it the 360 only does wmv files and the whole idea is to not have to transcode the files as that is very time consuming and degrades quality.I wish there was a dvd player that could play HD material of a disc similar to the Philips 5960 wich is great but limited to SD material.
Old 09-30-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get a ground loop isolator for the audio, and a power conditioner for your TV.
Belkin make them.
I have this one, http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_det...duct_Id=184722 and it stopped my projector from flickering everytime I turned the kitchen lights on/off.