Reload this Page >

connection speed tests???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are some good reliable websites to test your connection speed?
Old 09-29-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

only one i use really
Old 09-29-07, 12:40 PM

www.speedtest.net
Old 09-29-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the web based speed tests are not accurate or reliable...

they give some sense of data transfer... but not a measurement...

if you want to know what you are moving... there is an excellent program you can run to tell you what you can 'move' bandwidth wise... and several other things that are worth knowing...

Analog X, i assume many of you have heard of them, makes a program called 'Netstat Live'... named so because it functions like the actual 'Netstat' command on a UNIX OS...

best of all it's free... and it's been around for years, used by many people, and it runs like a top...

Link to download it...
Old 09-29-07, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
the web based speed tests are not accurate or reliable...

they give some sense of data transfer... but not a measurement...
I've heard this before. So what's the difference? When I complained to my ISP about slow speed, they said the same thing about inaccuracy of speed tests. As if an "accurate" test would report a number closer to the ISP's advertised speed. Is there a big difference between the speeds reported by web-based tests and the install-software-on-your-computer-based tests? Will one type consistently give higher numbers than the other?
Old 10-01-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

whats good whats bad I had 1324 download 512 upload
Old 10-01-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
I've heard this before. So what's the difference? When I complained to my ISP about slow speed, they said the same thing about inaccuracy of speed tests. As if an "accurate" test would report a number closer to the ISP's advertised speed. Is there a big difference between the speeds reported by web-based tests and the install-software-on-your-computer-based tests? Will one type consistently give higher numbers than the other?
The speed you are getting back from the speedtest sites vary depending on a number of things

1. How far you are away from them, the further away the slower you are going to go (duh, right?)
2. How many people are running tests at the same time. If 500 are running a test from that same server at once the speeds are obviously going to be slower for everyone
3. The speed of the server. This shouldn't be a problem as most of those speedtest sites run off of major backbones.
4. Your internet latency. Your connection may get slower as more people log on, this depends on whether you are on your own router or you share a port with others (sometimes up to 50 different people). This doesn't really pertain to a speed test site as it will effect speeds everywhere, but it's a good thing to keep in mind if your speed is going slow

Also, and i can't stress this enough

If you have a wireless router and your speeds are slow then for god sakes protect your connection with a wep key. There are probably a ton of people leeching your connection.
Old 10-01-07, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kman1011
whats good whats bad I had 1324 download 512 upload
There is no good and bad...just different. Different ISP's offer different options, most DSL providers offer various plans where you can pay higher monthly fee to get faster speed; mine has 3 or 4 levels costing from $25 to $60 I think but don't hold me to those numbers. If you can do everything you wanna do online without waiting for webpages to load and if streaming videos play smoothly, and you're OK with whatever monthly fee you pay, then that's all that matters. Oh the fact that the download speed is "double" the upload speed is normal; it is not a sign of a problem.

Last edited by jonnyquest; 10-01-07 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is nothing wrong with speedtests telling you your net speed. It will give you an idea of your rated speed, since most people have no clue as to what they're even supposed to be getting.

Yeah the tests vary, by distance, how many people are one them, but D U H, so does EVERYTHING on the net depend on those factors lol. Blaming speedtests trying to pretend they are worse is stupid.

ISP's say they dont matter because it gives you actual proof as to how bad they're fucking you speed wise. Gives you real ammo to back up their shit speed/service. So of course they try to write it off.

Is actually downloading something from somewhere a better test, sure, is it really needed to get an idea, no.

1324 and 512 smells like DSL 1.5 package that should cost $15 a month. So you have some Idea Kman1011
Old 10-02-07, 01:20 AM

No, ISPs are right to ignore the results of Internet speed tests. They create short bursts of high-bandwidth bursts of traffic. This kind of traffic pattern is very atypical and can throw TCP/IP's congestion control algorithm for a loop. The effects of packet latency and intermediate packet loss on throughput can be highly exaggerated by these kinds of tests, and you can end up with results that are way higher or way lower than you'd see under realistic traffic.
Old 10-02-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

But then the ISP's need to charge you on an average bps rate, rather than quoting you over the phone like, "Oh yeah, Mr. Polizei, you get 6Mbps with this new plan..." Yes, they do have a disclaimer which says under extreme traffic conditions, your connection speed will vary. However, if it is like this all the time, then you need to tell your ISP this and say, "Hey, your exceptions are becoming the rule. And thus, I don't want your higher-speed plan."

If you do tests on the hour and start recording the information, and you're only getting 1/3 of that speed, then there's something wrong. Hell, a company could charge you for a 10Mbps line, but your average was only 2Mbps, and you'd never know it unless you tested it with a downloading program/test.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-02-07 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-02-07, 02:59 AM

6 years of broadband, never found an accurate speed test, and that speakeasy test is a joke
Old 10-02-07, 09:42 AM

You could also try this Miranda test here:

http://web100.rit.edu:7123/

Or, try usng IPerf.
Old 10-02-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well... like i said fellas...

if you want to actually know what you are moving in and out of your computer over your internet link...

run Netstat Live and you will know for sure... you will see a constant readout... and will know exactly what you are getting from your internet link...

the 'online web-based speed tests' are simply not accurate... for some of the reasons mentioned here and quite a few others...
Old 10-02-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
well... like i said fellas...

if you want to actually know what you are moving in and out of your computer over your internet link...

run Netstat Live and you will know for sure... you will see a constant readout... and will know exactly what you are getting from your internet link...

the 'online web-based speed tests' are simply not accurate... for some of the reasons mentioned here and quite a few others...

Well for most people Netstat Live doesn't tell you anything. All it tells you is your data in and out for whatever you are doing. It doesn't you have a 1.5 meg connection or whatever like people are asking for.
Old 10-02-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny how so many can be just plain wrong. Yes it can tell you your speed, I never said run the test once and call it good. Of course you'd need to run it at different times of day and night for total result. But if I really have to explain that to you, I don't wanna even be having the discussion with you in the first place. This isn't need speed 101.

I gave the only real advice you need to get an idea of your speed. That or like I said find a place to download an actual file, how hard is it really.

I've had broadband forever, as much as I've HATED some of the ISP's I've had I've never seen one to totally lie about the package they're giving you.

I test my internet 15 hours a day using newshosting.com.....my internet speed up and down are both monitor on my keyboards lcd mini panel.

I agree that first test wasn't accurate at all really. The 2nd link was dead on both times I tried it, give or take. But accurate , YES.

Like now, both test I ran said 1.2-1.5M down, now thats a joke because my service is supposed to be 8M down, when in reality that's actually 7.3M down when working normally, yes they jew me out of .7M down always. But I downloaded family guy guess what my speed was......yes it was 2M down, that's it. So because those online tests said it was 1.5 or whatever range, it's a lie huh. Can't be that bad right, just like mediacom would tell you. Oh no can't be 4 times slower than it's supposed to be......right....right. Yes those test can vary wildly, I've seen it. But they also can be very accurate. So what's more accurate would you say, those two speeds test, or the ISP's 8M down claim..........I'm waiting........when you figure it out let me know.

Last edited by hdtv00; 10-02-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Of course you'd need to run it at different times of day and night for total result.
No, you'd need to use something besides a simple 30-second bandwidth test.

Originally Posted by hdtv00
But if I really have to explain that to you, I don't wanna even be having the discussion with you in the first place. This isn't need speed 101.
Read up on TCP's additive-increase, multiplicative-decrease scheme before you start lecturing people yourself. Short bursts of sustained traffic to a single host are incredibly bad indicators of realistic link speed.
Old 10-03-07, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No you don't I've been testing net speed for almost over 6 years now with them. They always in the end give you your actual net speed. Could your "incredibly bad indicators" comment be ANY more over exaggerated....no.

But whatever I'm done arguing about you being wrong. It's as stupid a statement as the people who say 3dmark and other benchmarks don't really tell you how you're game will perform whle actually gaming lol......you people just don't get it.