Reload this Page >

Question about my Network

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning, after being home for a month, I finally decided to set up my computer and set up a network with it and my mom's computer so that she, my sister and I didn't have to share one computer to get online.

The question I have pertains to the following:

Before I unpacked my computer, I noticed that the network card in my mom's computer was running at 10 Mbps, but after I set up my computer and the network, it was running at 100Mbps. I thought maybe I misread the numbers, so I ran the ethernet cable from the modem directly into my mom's computer and it was at 10 Mbps; when I ran the cable from the modem to the router and rehooked up the cable from the router to my mom's computer, it said 100 Mbps.

Any explanation for why this happened? I'm flabbergasted as to how that happened.
Old 09-28-07, 04:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes the network card or its drivers doesn't auto-negotiate the maximum possible speed from the device it's hooked up to. You're safer to go into your network card's properties and set its speed manually.
Old 09-28-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
Sometimes the network card or its drivers doesn't auto-negotiate the maximum possible speed from the device it's hooked up to. You're safer to go into your network card's properties and set its speed manually.
How would I go about doing that?

BTW, love the Sports Night avatar. Hard to believe it was just over 9 years ago that it debuted.
Old 09-28-07, 05:51 PM
X
Administrator

Go into your Local Area Connection properties, click on the Configure... button by the network card's name, click the Advanced tab, and select Speed/duplex settings. Set it to Force 100 Full Duplex and see how that works. If you have problems you could try Force 100 Half Duplex.
Old 09-28-07, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Before I unpacked my computer, I noticed that the network card in my mom's computer was running at 10 Mbps, but after I set up my computer and the network, it was running at 100Mbps. I thought maybe I misread the numbers, so I ran the ethernet cable from the modem directly into my mom's computer and it was at 10 Mbps; when I ran the cable from the modem to the router and rehooked up the cable from the router to my mom's computer, it said 100 Mbps.
Do you mean that before it was

modem -> your mom's PC

at 10 Mbps, and now it's

modem -> router -> your mom's PC

at 100 Mbps?

If so, that's not all that surprising. The modem is probably only equipped with a 10 Mbps interface, since it's only going to be pushing out data at a few Mbps anyway. Most home routers have 100 Mbps or even gigabit Ethernet ports, but they're only an advantage when you're sending data among all the PCs in your own network. They won't make a bit of difference as far as your Internet connection's concerned, because your router will keep talking to your modem at 10 Mbps (and in reality will never get anywhere near that limit).
Old 09-28-07, 07:20 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by GHackmann
If so, that's not all that surprising. The modem is probably only equipped with a 10 Mbps interface, since it's only going to be pushing out data at a few Mbps anyway.
Yes, that's entirely possible too. Depends on the model.

I recently had to set a NIC explicitly to 100mbps because, for some reason, it was setting itself to 10mbps when it was set to auto-negotiate. So it's probably worth a try anyway.