Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help extracting data from Enhanced IDE hard drive.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is getting ready to apply for grad school (after a few years out of college), and we need to get some of her documents off of an old computer that has been disassembled. I salvaged the HDD, but it is an enhanced IDE HDD. I'm thinking my best option is an external enclosure that can be reused, but I don't even know if EIDE is reliable enough to justify a purchase of an enclosure for later use.

Any ideas or better solutions would be welcome! Thanks for any help, everyone.
Old 09-28-07, 02:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This looks like it will do the job for a very reasonable price...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817105011
Old 09-28-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope so. I'll give it a try. Beat the heck of the one at BB for about $60. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally got that exact enclosure in, but I'm having some real problems. The box says it is compatible w/ both XP and OS X, but I can't get either system to recognize it.

At first, the XP box detected the drive itself, but I couldn't get access to it through My Computer. On the OS X laptop, I got nothing at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? I tried to install the drivers that came with it, but that's only good for Win 98.

Thanks for any info!
Old 10-05-07, 05:53 PM

You could ditch the enclosure idea and just temporarily patch the drive into your XP machine as a secondary HDD. It involves removing the covers, (possibly) unplugging a DVD/CD/HDD drive, finding the right cables (IDE and power), (possibly) moving a jumper on the HDD in question, connecting it up, starting up the computer, saving the wanted files to primary HDD or CD or DVD or USB flash, then putting everything back together again. Not a job for a novice, but possibly you are not a novice.

I don't know anything about the enclosure or how it works or how it interfaces between IDE and USB. The obvious question is did you read and follow the documentation? Many products today try so hard to promote the plug-and-play aspect so much so that customers can think reading the manual is unnecessary.
Old 10-05-07, 06:00 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by reubs82
I finally got that exact enclosure in, but I'm having some real problems. The box says it is compatible w/ both XP and OS X, but I can't get either system to recognize it.
Did you jumper your drive to be Master? That's generally with these enclosures require in order to recognize the drive.
Old 10-05-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Try this:

In XP, right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Then click on "Disk Management" in the lefthand pane. You might see the drive listed on the right side now, but may say something like "Foreign". Right-click the drive and choose "Import Foreign Disk" or something like that. It may also say "Basic Disk" and then you'd choose "Convert Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk". I believe that neither of those will ruin the data on the disk (it should warn you before if it will).

See this: http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm
Old 10-05-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Did you jumper your drive to be Master? That's generally with these enclosures require in order to recognize the drive.
That's probably it.
Old 10-05-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey everyone. Thanks for the influx of responses. I'm away from it right now, but after I got off the phone w/ customer service last night the guy told me that some enclosures only support NTFS formatting. I'm thinking the HDD in question is FAT32. With that in mind, the CS said I might have problems accessing a FAT32 drive from my XP set up. I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-05-07, 07:00 PM
X
Administrator

XP should be able to recognize FAT32. It shouldn't have anything to do with the enclosure. I never heard of that one before and I'll bet the CS guy was making it up.

Once your computer shows a drive being recognized, it is possible that you would have to go into Disk Management to make the drive usable as Numanoid mentioned. I've never had to do anything other than assign the drive a letter though.
Old 10-07-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, everyone...I've gotten into Disk Management, and it looks like the drive is showing up. However, whenever I click the drive icon the only options I get are "Format" and "Help". I can't "Partition", "Explore", or anything.

When I pulled the HDD out and put the jumper on "Master", I can't even pull the drive up in "Computer Management".

I'm going to try a few more settings, but I just wanted to update folks.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Here's what it looks like.

Last edited by reubs82; 10-07-07 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you might want to bite the bullet and drop the drive in your existing machine as a slave and see if it can be accessed that way. if your enclosure is the problem, i use this for temporary access of drives (you do not have to futz with an external enclosure - you just plug it in and go).
Old 10-17-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found a machine that runs XP and reads an Enhanced IDE drive. I have the old HDD plugged in as a slave drive. I have pulled up "computer management", and I can see the drive. The thing is, though, is that I can't assign a drive letter or anything to it. I'm really not wanting to take this to a computer place and pay $100 for it to be extracted, but it's certainly looking that way. Within the management screen, it is telling me that the allotted space is "Healthy", which I guess means that the HDD is still usable.

I also tried booting from the HDD itself, but I got hung up on the Windows 98 screen.

Oh, well. Thanks for all the help to this point, and I'll take any other suggestions anyone can offer.
Old 10-17-07, 01:05 PM
X
Administrator

Strange. I wonder whether rebuilding the MBR or something like that would help?

Maybe (I haven't tried this on a weird-acting drive) you could create a Ghost image of the drive onto another drive and then read the image in Ghost Explorer and get to the files that way?
Old 10-17-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you could also boot up your computer with a linux live cd (like knoppix) and see if the data is visible. you could at least access and copy any important info.
Old 10-17-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try PC Inspector file recovery, it won't cost you anything but time

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file...htm?language=1
Old 10-17-07, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by reubs82
I also tried booting from the HDD itself, but I got hung up on the Windows 98 screen.
Another idea: Create a bootable DOS floppy diskette with minimal utils. Boot from that floppy. Use DOS commands to copy the wanted files from the old HDD to another HDD. Similar to what kms_md said, but using DOS on floppy instead of linux on CD.