Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Got an iPhone? I got a question..

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-28-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When one hooks up the iPhone to their computer, iTunes picks it up as a "device".

Now, can you drag songs from your computer to your iPhone?

Or is it necessary for you to sync a playlist to transfer songs?
Old 09-28-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only used iTunes with my iPhone, and you have to sync a playlist to transfer songs/videos. At first I didn't know you had to do this, and I was driving myself crazy for a few days wondering why I couldn't simply drag and drop. I'm sure there has to be some kind of program out there that'll allow drag/drop, but I haven't really looked into it.
Old 09-28-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by eatntae
At first I didn't know you had to do this, and I was driving myself crazy for a few days wondering why I couldn't simply drag and drop.
I know the feeling. Heck, I had the same problems with my iPod when I first got it. Only, my iPod wasn't modified.
Old 09-28-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about the iPhone, but with the iPod you can set the iTunes syncing preferences to manual and drag and drop as much as you'd like.
Old 09-28-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
I don't know about the iPhone, but with the iPod you can set the iTunes syncing preferences to manual and drag and drop as much as you'd like.
Yeah, you can set the iPhone to not automatically sync, but there's still no drag and drop functionality in iTunes. Hopefully they change this with a future firmware upgrade.

Speaking of which, I just upgraded to the newest firmware on my iPhone, and the custom ringtone I made using the loophole in iTunes 7.4.0.28 doesn't play anymore I don't really buy music through iTunes, so I probably shouldn't have upgraded
Old 09-28-07, 07:47 AM

Apple apparently will be releasing a new update for the Iphone that might render unlocked Iphones useless and make them into IBricks.

Such phones will lose the Apple warranty too. (thanks to apcarandang for this info)
Old 09-28-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of which, I just upgraded to the newest firmware on my iPhone, and the custom ringtone I made using the loophole in iTunes 7.4.0.28 doesn't play anymore I don't really buy music through iTunes, so I probably shouldn't have upgraded
eatntae,
apparently someone has had success uploading custom ringtones (on the Mac side) using iTunes 7.4.0.28 and the latest iPhone firmware (ver. 1.1.1). If you'd like to try it, let me know and i'll post instructions. It is similar to the previous iTunes ringtone tricks, with a few extra steps. Are you using a Mac or Windows?
Old 09-28-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
eatntae,
apparently someone has had success uploading custom ringtones (on the Mac side) using iTunes 7.4.0.28 and the latest iPhone firmware (ver. 1.1.1). If you'd like to try it, let me know and i'll post instructions. It is similar to the previous iTunes ringtone tricks, with a few extra steps. Are you using a Mac or Windows?
If you've got instructions for Windows XP, I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-28-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you've got instructions for Windows XP, I'll give it a shot.
Ok here it goes (credit goes to "stonedgrace" from the MacRumors forum):

For the purposes of this example, i'll call the ringtone "MyRingtone.m4r" or "MyRingtone.m4a".

1. First make your ring tone and change the extenstion to .m4r.

2. Double click to add to iTunes. It will show up under the ring tones tab and if you sync your phone it will be in your ringtones list. At this point the ring tone will not play.

3. Now, rename the ringtone in Windows Explorer back to .m4a

4. Download Atomic Parsley using the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...0.zip&25690721

5. Unzip to a directory of your choice. (i.e. C:\Atomic)

6. Copy the ringtone (i.e. "MyRingtone.m4a") to the directory you unzipped "Atomic Parsley".

7. Using the command line (Start->Run, then type "cmd" and click "Ok") change directory to the directory you unzipped Atomic Parsley. (ex: "cd C:\Atomic\AtomicParsley-win32-0.9.0").

8. Type the following command: "AtomicParsley MyRingtone.m4a --stik value=14". You should see some status from the program that it is converting the file. (i.e. "Started/Finished writing to temp file").

9. Go to Windows Explorer and go to the directory where Atomic Parsley is located at ("C:\Atomic\AtomicParsley-win32-0.9.0"). You should see a new file that was generated by Atomic Parsley (for example, could be called "MyRingtone-temp-2531.m4a"). Copy this file to the same directory where the MyRingtone.m4r is located at.

10. Rename the Atomic Parsley file back to "MyRingtone.m4a".

11. Double click to add to iTunes. It is going to add the same file into your ringtone tab a second time, but when you sync the phone there will only be one in the list on the phone and it will now play.

"stonedgrace" reported that he had success adding ringtones on most of them, but on at least 2 of them, had to delete them from the ringtones list and re-added them using the procedure. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! If you have any success, let us know!

Last edited by alfredog1976; 09-29-07 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-28-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All this iPhone talk makes me extremely angry at FedEx for stealing my free one.
Old 09-28-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the iphone doesn't allow drag and drop because it isn't mounted to your computer as a disk drive the way other ipods are. this makes it possible to add and remove the iphone from your dock whenever you want without the need to eject it first, such as when you get a phone call.

i was a little pissed off but all you need to do is create a playlist called "iphone music" or whatever. right click on songs in your library and add them to the iphone playlist. then hit the sync button and they'll transfer. not that big of a deal in reality.
Old 09-29-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Nosebleed
not that big of a deal in reality.
Unless you don't want to waste up to 8g of space on your computer for the storage of songs..
Old 09-29-07, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well i do keep backups of my files on my hard drive, so, to me, it's not that big of a deal. if it is to you, well, then wait for the next iphone or buy an ipod classic.
Old 10-02-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd be careful about playing with iPhones. Steve Jobs just made a lot of the hacked ones iBricks

and he gloated about it on his blog
Old 10-02-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Got a link?
Old 10-03-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You only risked getting bricked if you applied the firmware update. Also, the industrious people of our nation have already figured a way to reverse the bricking (if you were foolish enough to update before the all clear).

I used iBrickr on my phone but I didn't unlock (don't need to). Right now the update from Apple isn't enough to make me want to get rid of the custom apps. I'll just be patient until they figure out how to make the custom apps work with the new update and then apply it.
Old 10-03-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else having problems with the browser? On webpages where I need to log in, I can't click on the box to type in the info and double clicking just zooms in
Old 10-03-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gotrice487
Anyone else having problems with the browser? On webpages where I need to log in, I can't click on the box to type in the info and double clicking just zooms in
On any page where I've had to log in, I've had no problems clicking into the text boxes.
Old 10-04-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't have problems with the fill in boxes but I did have issues with buttons working properly on Best Buy's site with mine. I just took it as a hint that I shouldn't be on BB's site in the first place.