Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

good keyboards to prevent tendonitis (and future problems)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-27-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I type 100 WPM for 3-4 hours a day for my job on my 14" macbook and lately I noticed my hands are feeling a little stiff. Are there any special keyboards out there to prevent the problem from getting worst? I'd hate to develop any problems down the line and I'll probably be doing this work for at least a couple years.
Old 09-27-07, 06:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 09-27-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CloverClover
I type 100 WPM for 3-4 hours a day for my job on my 14" macbook and lately I noticed my hands are feeling a little stiff. Are there any special keyboards out there to prevent the problem from getting worst? I'd hate to develop any problems down the line and I'll probably be doing this work for at least a couple years.
Some may recommend those ergonomic keyboards.... but I'm not one of them. I'm a software developer and spend 10+ hours a day typing. Ironically, the only time I've experienced any difficulty was when I "followed the crowd" and did things that everyone else was doing... like ergonomic keyboards and flipping down the feet on the back of the keyboard.

Here's a single piece of advice that has worked for me... do NOT flip the feet down on the back of a keyboard! That will actually accelerate the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome. Instead, get a strip of dense foam rubber... 1" thick, 4" deep, and the width of the keyboard and place it under the FRONT of your keyboard.... so that the keyboard is tilting AWAY from you (slightly).