Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Media extender? Which one? Suggestions please.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-25-07, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have titled this thread "media extender", because I don't know what else to call it. This does not mean that I am exclusively looking for media extenders for Windows XP Media Center edition.

My home network is all hardwired via gig-interface (and gig switch). I also have wireless.

My TV sits too far from my computer for an RCA cable. This is how I used to watch digital contents from my computer on my TV. This is not an option anymore.

My main computer does happen to have Windows MCE, but any suggestions could suggest anything, even outside of MCE.

I think I would like to purchase a "system" that will allow me to play my digital media (wav, mp3, DVD, divx, ...) that I have on harddisk to the TV. Ideally this is what I would like:

- preferably hardwired (wireless is available as an alternative)
- current TV is not HDTV, but future one might be. Current TV takes RCA and/or component as input
- I do have a 5.1 surround sound amplifier by the TV. The system should take advantage of this
- the system should allow me to browse whatever I have shared on my main machine, and play whatever I select
- the system should be able to play the native format. I don't want to start converting everything to whichever proprietary format.
- the system should be noiseless

I know, I could build a HTPC, and pay attention to heat and noise etc, but honestly, I would prefer to buy a "finished" solution.

Any suggestions? Any forums I should read? Any specific websites I should visit?
Old 09-25-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i was looking for the same solution for months and someone here recommended xbox media center. It plays virtually anything and the only wire you need is an ethernet cable from your router to the xbox. You can also go wireless. No lag whatsoever either. Perfect interface also. Been using it now for months and still havent played an xbox game lol.
Old 09-26-07, 01:55 AM

This would work, because I do have an xbox laying around. Does this work on the good old xbox, because I don't have a 360?

Where would I buy the media extender for xbox (not 360)? It appears that on microsoft, they only offer it for the 360?

Have you tried playing various codecs (mp3, avi,wmv, mp4,quicktime, divx)? What are your impressions?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LolaRennt
This would work, because I do have an xbox laying around. Does this work on the good old xbox, because I don't have a 360?

Where would I buy the media extender for xbox (not 360)? It appears that on microsoft, they only offer it for the 360?

Have you tried playing various codecs (mp3, avi,wmv, mp4,quicktime, divx)? What are your impressions?

Thanks!
You wouldnt be able to find it on Microsoft because they dont support it. Youd need to get a modchip. I'm not sure if it's allowed to be discussed on here though. You can find details with some simple searching though.
I've pretty much tried playing every codec imaginable and everything plays with no problems. Even displays the OAR for videos automatically .
Old 09-26-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Mini Mac would also work well. I have that (I did use a chipped xbox for a while too).

I like having all the options of a cpu compared to the XBox, but the Xbox did work great for a while.