Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Wireless router won't connect wirelessly.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-24-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've had the router for about two years with no problems ut now all of a sudden, I can't connect wirelessly with it. My computer is connected with wires and works fine but when I try to use wifi in my PSP / DS / Wii / Ipod touch I don't get a signal. They all see the router but can't connect to it. Does anyone know what the problem could be? It's a netgear router.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are using any security for the wireless, turn them all off and see if your wireless is working then. If no, try resetting the router. Otherwise, you might have a "dead" router.
Old 09-25-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it possible to have a dead router where only the wireless doesn't work? My computer is connected (with wires) to the router and works fine. It's just the wireless stuff that won't connect. It connects sometimes but when it does it's very very slow. Do you think it's time I get a new router?
Old 09-25-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by firteen88
Is it possible to have a dead router where only the wireless doesn't work? My computer is connected (with wires) to the router and works fine. It's just the wireless stuff that won't connect. It connects sometimes but when it does it's very very slow. Do you think it's time I get a new router?
I had a Linksys wireless G do that once. I cold use the router but not wireless. Since they were cheap I just pitched it. I went to a Linksys Wireless N and like it. Seems to have more range than the G.
Old 09-25-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

really? I thought G was the best available right now.
Old 09-25-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Radio can certainly go out in your router which would make connecting impossible and not affect the LAN side at all. However, if that were to happen I wouldn't expect that any of your components would be able to "see" the router at all. It's possible something in your immediate vicinity is broadcasting on the same frequency and there's too much interference to connect. I'd suggest changing the frequency of the router first and see if that has any effect.
Old 09-25-07, 03:48 PM

Well N isn't officially finalized yet, so everything out there is still "Pre-N" and may or may not (most likely will not) work with the finalized N equipment when the actual standard is written.
Old 09-25-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, the Wii needs to be set to channel 11 or 1. I've changed back and forth which allows the Wii to get a wifi signal for about a day or two, then it goes away. With my ipod touch I can get onto SOME websites but they take very long to load while most websites just wont load at all. allthough it finds the router I get an error that says "can't find server"
Old 09-26-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I run on channel 4 (or 6 can't remember) and my Wii works fine.
Old 09-28-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

maybe the router's firewall is blocking them. If you are open pppoe or dhcp then it's possible that your router somehow got reset, and the nature of both open pppoe and dhcp your internet should have reconnected with no lapse or setup. You may have to go into the netgear and add the ip addresses in the routers DMZ table for the firewall. Not sure really how well this would work with game systems, but at work we put 360's and ps3's in the DMZ all the time and they start working wirelessly. If you goto www.portforward.com it will tell the ip ranges for most video game systems that should be added and how to do this.

I can't actually find the game systems on there, you may have to call the companies tech support and get the port forward addresses or find out how to get the internal ip address of the system to forward them

Last edited by glassdragon; 09-28-07 at 03:56 AM.