Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD creating software?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD creating software?

Old 09-23-07, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD creating software?

Im currently trying to put family videos on dvds so they dont have to be watched on a computer. Ive tried software that started with an X (xilisoft?) and it didnt seem to do the job. I spent 12 hours waiting for it burn only to find out the menus didnt work, and only half the movie would play.

I have nero 7, but nero vision wont let me open it because it says i need to buy a special plugin in order to use it.

Ive already used virtualdub and compressed as much of the movie as possible without losing too much quality.

So is there software that will take multiple compressed avi files, allow me to make my own dvd menu, and burn it while retaining the same quality?

Thank you.
Old 09-23-07, 10:13 PM

DVD Flick perhaps?

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...k/1169144218/1
Old 09-24-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Flick won't create menus though.

Why did you compress the avi? You're still going to need to recode to DVD format, so it would be best to start with the original files.

If you're only looking for freeware, DVDForger is a very alpha freeware that would do everything you're looking for. You're going to have to tweak the settings because the default encoder engine is pretty sloooow.

http://download.videohelp.com/dvdforger/

Non-freeware, TMPGEnc DVD Author is a good option. They have a 14 day trial:
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda3.html
Old 09-24-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zer0depth

I have nero 7, but nero vision wont let me open it because it says i need to buy a special plugin in order to use it.

What format are the videos in now? Nero is giving you a problem because you are trying to import avi. Nerovision will do everything you want to do. If the files are already DVD video files you can import them directly into Nero. If they are avi you need to use a converting software, convert them, and then import into Nero.
Old 09-24-07, 09:25 PM

The videos are currently in .avi form.

I compressed the movies because I wanted to put 4 of them onto one dvd, and assumed they would still be the same size when I added them (although that does explain why 2 .avis came out to be like 3.67gigs, instead of 1.5gigs). I just wanted to put all of the movies on one dvd with the same quality i got from using the xvid codec and the AC3 audio filter. But after trying 3 programs and having them all encode them into whatever format is used for dvds i doubt thats possible.

As for the nerovision question, it wouldnt even let me open the program to the "add" part, it says i need to buy some plugin from nero in order to use it, which is really stupid to bundle software that came with my dvd drive when i bought it and wont even let me try it out.

Ive currently been using "ConvertXtoDVD" which seems to do a really goodjob and retains all video and audio quality, however it doesnt let me setup the dvd menu (just gives you the option to change a background and change the name of the movies). The speed at which it does it seems pretty fast (2 hours for 2 hour and 20 minute videos).

I would like to be able to make my own dvd menu, but i can deal with the simple text menus, but is there software that will retain all the quality of a compressed avi so i can add more than 2 movies?
Old 09-25-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will this ConvertXtoDVD software let you just convert the files into a different format without burning them? If so you could convert the avi files into DVD Video files in a folder on your HD and then browse and import the files into Nero. No matter what you will lose quality if you go over 2hrs. Plus real time encoding and burning is not free from quality loss either.