Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

moved hard drive to other computer, works as slave but wont boot as master.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-16-07, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends computer (old) was shot, so we got another old computer (new) running windows xp pro. the one that was shot was also running windows xp. I fixed the "new computer" (ram was bad) and now it boots from the "new" hard drive and i can recognize the "old" hard drive fine in windows and access all the files. I would like to toss the "new" hard drive and just use the "old" one but after the inital hp splash screen a cursor on the top left of the screen keeps blinking and it wont load. I tried running fdisk on it while it was a slave and fixed a few things. What is my next step here?? THanks!
Old 08-16-07, 02:02 PM

i just did some research and it seems windows might be keyed to the old bios. I'll see if there is a recovery disk and if we can fix it that way.
Old 08-16-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

your 'olds' and 'news' have me confused
first.. have you adjusted the jumpers on the harddrive.. from the sound of it, Im assuming they are on cable select.. and not all systems are going to take cable select for the master.

also.. with just the drive in that isnt work.. as master.. are you saying its not even showing the bios splash screen?
Old 08-16-07, 04:48 PM
Cool New Member

you cant use a hard drive from another computer like you want to, just straight swapping it. Try reinstalling windows on the old hard drive after you switch the jumpers to master.
Old 08-17-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Windows XP is weird about this stuff. Just the other day I installed a new motherboard and couldn't boot into Windows, due to some page error. Ended up reinstalling and it worked fine.
Old 08-17-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

make sure your jumpers are set for master and slave appropriately. then do a repair of the windows installation using an xp installation disc. this should give you a workable installation. install mobo specific drivers and you should be good to go. of course, a fresh installation in the new box would be the best way to go.