Reload this Page >

Transferring Songs From a PC to a Macbook

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-13-07, 10:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new iPod and I'd like to format it to my MacBook Pro, since it's the main computer I use. It's my school laptop and I'll be taking the iPod to school, so I'd rather not have it formatted to my parents' shitty PC. But, the problem is that the PC is where all of my 3000 songs are and I don't have an external harddrive.

So, I was wondering if there was an easier, less expensive way of transferring all of my songs from the PC to my Mac? I know I can just put all of the CDs into the Mac and upload them into iTunes, but that'll take forever and I don't really have the time for it. I've also thought about Rapidshare or something like it, but I don't really know how that would work.

I doubt there's any other way to do it other than using an external harddrive or uploading the individual CDs, but any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-13-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

iPods can be used as normal external drives also. So simply copy the files over on the iPod like you would normally do when copying files (not inside iTunes).
Old 08-14-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does the PC have a DVD burner?

you can back up your entire library to CD's or DVDs. 3000 songs should fit on about three or four DVDs.
Old 08-14-07, 09:33 AM

Use Senuti on your MBP to grab all the songs off your iPod. Then you can reformat it and pair it with your laptop.
Old 08-14-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you share the folder on your parent's computer on the network and then just copy them to your MBP from there? That's probably the quickest way.
Old 08-15-07, 03:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I probably could share the iTunes folder between the PC and my MacBook, through my wireless router. But, I don't really have any idea of how to set a wireless network up.
Old 08-17-07, 11:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

So, would setting up a wireless network between the PC and MacBook be my best bet? Or?
Old 08-19-07, 02:45 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I was talking to a friend who took a Computer Programming program at university, and he told me that I could just use an ethernet/LAN cable to do it, by connecting my laptop to the wireless router that the PC is set-up to. Would that work? Is there anything else I'd have to do?

All I want to do is save the songs to my MacBook, so that I can put them on my new iPod, and then I'm going to delete 'em so that I'm not using 13 gigabytes of space on my harddrive.
Old 08-19-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
So, would setting up a wireless network between the PC and MacBook be my best bet? Or?
Yes, this is your best bet. Are they both connected to the same router? You have to enabled sharing on your parents PC. Right click on the folder with all of the songs, select properties and hit the sharing boxes.

I'm too lazy to walk through the exact process of getting into your PC from your Mac through the network on my machines, so here's a link that should help:

http://www.mac-connect.com/win_from_mac.php
Old 08-22-07, 12:01 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah, they are both connected to the same wireless router. I'll try doing that when I get a chance later today. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-22-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the Senuti program that Hackman suggested and it worked great!!